Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks my last post on here was way back in 2013 and sorry 4 being AWOL here. Life happens. Anyway I am in my 23rd year of relic hunting my REv WAr site here in Maine . U may remember me for posting a silver shoe buckle frame I found on the beach that once belonged to Cpt John Hinkley . On the 16th of May was working a hot spot that has produced much American ordnance . Google 'Trask Rock" for a 8 minute video of history in Castine , Maine. Had a great day with finding 4 large grape shot. Spent 5 hours on the hunt and happy with the results. Just dug a pull tab some other THer had left behind and said maybe dig one more target and cal it a day. Deus rang up a 81-82 which usually is a pull tab or shotgun shell. I guess "Shock & Awe" best describes my feelings once I spotted a large bright yellow coin in my discharge dirt. Full guinea .Here u go and may this happen to you. I will answer all questions to as to why I believe lost by a British officer under fire. Enjoy . Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3517.JPG
    DSCN3517.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,236
  • DSCN3478.JPG
    DSCN3478.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,127
  • DSCN3471.JPG
    DSCN3471.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 929
  • DSCN3526.jpg
    DSCN3526.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,202
  • DSCN3532.jpg
    DSCN3532.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,207
Last edited:
Upvote 141

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Sick find, congrats on the incredible find and the well deserved banner :icon_thumright:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks my last post on here was way back in 2013 and sorry 4 being AWOL here. Life happens. Anyway I am in my 23rd year of relic hunting my REv WAr site here in Maine . U may remember me for posting a silver shoe buckle frame I found on the beach that once belonged to Cpt John Hinkley . On the 16th of May was working a hot spot that has produced much American ordnance . Google 'Trask Rock" for a 8 minute video of history in Castine , Maine. Had a great day with finding 4 large grape shot. Spent 5 hours on the hunt and happy with the results. Just dug a pull tab some other THer had left behind and said maybe dig one more target and cal it a day. Deus rang up a 81-82 which usually is a pull tab or shotgun shell. I guess "Shock & Awe" best describes my feelings once I spotted a large bright yellow coin in my discharge dirt. Full guinea .Here u go and may this happen to you. I will answer all questions to as to why I believe lost by a British officer under fire. Enjoy . Gary

My first thought , Mint State , 2 'd thought I wish it could talk.
Great Banner.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does gold not tarnish at all? And is that why it comes out so clean? I seem to notice this occurrence in videos a lot, but rings and other jewelry tend to be caked. Maybe because of shape or metal content.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does gold not tarnish at all? And is that why it comes out so clean? I seem to notice this occurrence in videos a lot, but rings and other jewelry tend to be caked. Maybe because of shape or metal content.

Gold coins are high grade gold - nearly all are over 90% gold. That high gold content does not tarnish. Gold jewelry of 10k is less than 42% gold and is alloyed with metals that do show tarnish. Even slightly better gold jewelry shows tarnish when recovered after being buried.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Davers . Sorry been absent as of late and yup relic hunting Castine long as the weather permits. Not looking for another gold coin as I feel this was a single soldier lost it under fire. Thanks for your comments. Mentioning "Mint State" tells me u may be a Numismatist. Me as well. Suspect it was issued to the officer jus before it's loss and why mint. I always take a camera with me when I relic hunt to record the finds in real time and often as found in the ground. Memories fade yet pics don't. U r indeed right sir the little gold coin , the size of a U.S quarter and 25 mm, is mint state and sending up more pics to show as found. Back in some early remarks by one member he thought were finger prints on it and wondered if I had like picked it up and then tried to recreate as found on top of that mound of discharge dirt . I did respond and indeed guilty as charged but did mention that when painting a metal picture for u folk to enjoy the find. I think the "Shock & Awe of that moment looking at the gleam of gold shining trough black dirt made beautiful contrast . I am putting up other pics of the coin as found with some dirt still clinging to it. On the first pic u can actually see what is called "Mint Red" at 9 O clock . It is very difficult to take pics of gold coins with flash and all so this is the best I can di with a hundred dollar camera. This coin comes in two sizes, a half and full guinea. This one is full 25mm, 8.4 grams of 22 caret gold. It has a cameo effect on both obverse and reverse. Also notice the damage at about 2 O clock this coin no doubt when lost on the retreat was stepped on as minor damage also on the other side. Many asked about size so here is also a pic of both Georges facing one another for 8 years. The one with ,ore dirt on it very close to what I saw before my excitement of picking it up after a few explatives. BTW u mentioned "If I could talk" ? The answer is yes it did to me and will explain in another post as I find in an earlier post. Thank u all or looking and your great comments. Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3489.jpg
    DSCN3489.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • DSCN3500.jpg
    DSCN3500.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN3481.JPG
    DSCN3481.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN3504.JPG
    DSCN3504.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • DSCN3477.JPG
    DSCN3477.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Gary, Long Awaited! Well deserved!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure I remember how to do a reply and am rusty i guess but will answer Terpfan's 2 questions. First the area where this coin was found is a known impact area for American artilery from the ships and has been well hunted over the years by many and quite a bit of trash left behind by other relic hunters. In deep woods with downed trees and bushes so not an easy hunt .Shotgun shells abound with pull tabs and even a few sardine cans. Why I found it but not others before me is I suspect many got the signal and thought trash and moved on. Thank u. After pulling out a pull tab just before the coin I made it my last target of the day. The American's routed Brits thru this area back to the fort and knowing this skirmish tool place on the 28th of July 1779 in the very early morning hours. No doubt in the heat of battle and under fire this coin was lost. Dated 1772 and in mint condition probably the officer was probably recently paid. Hard loss for him. American's rarely got paid in hard money making it more probable a Brit owned it.
So to paint a metal picture of this find it had been a long 5 hour hunt in extremely hard to hunt with much downed trees and brush to contend with. . Had found 4 grapeshot prior to that and was a good day for American ordnance. In a rare open area got a signal on my Deus reading like a pull tab/ shotgun shell. Yup up came a pull tab. Put it in my bag and starting swinging the coil. About 5 feet away a similar signal I almost passed on but said what the hell make it my last dig. So I dig a wide hole and throw up dirt in a pile. Look into the hole nothing . Then I catch the glint of something yellow sitting flat on the dirt pile. So now I am getting excited and saying to myself R U (expletive) kidding me. Maybe a gold coin?Picked up the coin and felt the heavyness of gold and gently brushed off the dirt on it. Took pictures to document the find . Note always take a camera with u if possible to record the find for history like u r reading here. . I knew being heavy it was gold and English and later learned a guinea , 25mm ,22 kt gold ,dated 1772 in mint condition. The area found in the Brits passed thru there when the American's routed them in a skirmish and returned to their fort. Am happy u all re enjoying this piece of our history and thanks for your words. It was never on my "Bucket List" since never expected to find gold at this site and expect a single loss. I have found some fantastic coins , relics and buttons over the last 23 years and written 6 articles for Western Eastern Treasures mag documented many of them. The last "In Search of the British 74th" July 2018. Will there be a 7th? Answer -U know it. Thanks for looking and reading my post. Gary

Davers
To answer your question about' Wish it could talk? " I went back to one of my first posts back when listing the coin as to my knowledge of this battle and my opinion about why this coin was lost. It is easier after 10 pages of posts for u to just read above this comment. Some may disagree but everything I wrote indeed makes perfect since. I actually have it down to two officer's of the 82ndb REgt of Foot that lost it. Lt John Moore or Cpt Campbell . It was lost on the Brits right flank where Cpt Campbell had his 50 men . Lt Moore on the left flank with his. When the American's engaged the Brits on that height of ground Cpt Campbell and his soldiers broke and retreated back to the fort . Lt Moore was able to hold hid men till the last possible moments then in good order retreated . My opinion only Cpt Campbell lost this coin while under fire. This coin was lost on the 28 Th of July 1779 and on the 28th of JUly and will be exactly 240 years ago from this posting Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gold coins are high grade gold - nearly all are over 90% gold. That high gold content does not tarnish. Gold jewelry of 10k is less than 42% gold and is alloyed with metals that do show tarnish. Even slightly better gold jewelry shows tarnish when recovered after being buried.

Morning Rick
Thanks for answering slowtakdown's questions. I have found a few gold rings when a coin and jewelry hunting guy and yes the lower quality gold does tarnish. However regardless of the caret any gold finds increase ones pulse rate. Mine was indeed up there and glad was sitting down when this gold came out of the ground. Did some research on the British guinea and found the full one, as this is, in 22 caret , 25 mm , U.S. quarter size and 8.4 grams of gold. With gold being a soft metal most of these gold coins were in circulation and no doubt were worn quickly and probably why few survive today in high grade. Yes it was a "Shock & Awe " moment for me as was the iron 6 pounder hex bar shot found a few weeks later . Both are equally rare finds but gold always is much prettier to look at than old rusted iron . However to this relic hunter "Rusty Gold". This year has been a banner, not that kind of banner, year for me with some relics not on my "Bucket List" as was not this relic/ coin of the past. One thing about this hobby it can happen to u as well so keep swing those coils folks . Gary

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought a bit more about my response regarding tarnish. We don't usually refer to a gold coin as tarnished - but it is possible for a gold coin to become toned and not appear "as struck". It would be a mistake to clean such toning. I have a 1842-O quarter eagle that shows a nice slightly coppery toning in the devices that I like because it adds a bit of contrast. I had the $2 Newfoundland gold set along with some high grade very low mintage silver Victorian pieces. Some of the gold dates were attractively toned - especially the key 1880 date and the first year of 1865. I sold them all at a Bowers & Merena auction about 20 or so years ago. Perhaps we call it toning because the word tarnish suggests that some item is in need of cleaning - which a toned gold coin never needs. How the coin was stored and the chemistry of the area around it - whether soil, water or old paper envelope, could affect the toning. Gary's coin shows little or no toning and for all effective purposes is "as struck". I suspect the soil there, so suitable for growing rocks, is fairly sterile and relatively non-reactive.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought a bit more about my response regarding tarnish. We don't usually refer to a gold coin as tarnished - but it is possible for a gold coin to become toned and not appear "as struck". It would be a mistake to clean such toning. I have a 1842-O quarter eagle that shows a nice slightly coppery toning in the devices that I like because it adds a bit of contrast. I had the $2 Newfoundland gold set along with some high grade very low mintage silver Victorian pieces. Some of the gold dates were attractively toned - especially the key 1880 date and the first year of 1865. I sold them all at a Bowers & Merena auction about 20 or so years ago. Perhaps we call it toning because the word tarnish suggests that some item is in need of cleaning - which a toned gold coin never needs. How the coin was stored and the chemistry of the area around it - whether soil, water or old paper envelope, could affect the toning. Gary's coin shows little or no toning and for all effective purposes is "as struck". I suspect the soil there, so suitable for growing rocks, is fairly sterile and relatively non-reactive.

Rick is indeed correct about the differance between toning and tarnish. Although I don't collect coins now ,but was a numismatist for like most of my life ,can say gold coins found in the ground, even in
salt water look like they do when lost . Mel Fishers's many gold coin finds attest to that. Toning I usually associate with older silver coins like silver Morgan or Peace dollars for example. The way coins are stored can create beautiful toning and many collectors love the look of them. Often first strikes from the dies create a mirror proof like surface and some even frosted and highly collectable.. Silver found in salt water and in the ground is almost always tarnished and up to u to clean or not. When in doubt best to leave it as found . When the gold guinea came out of that ground it needed little attention other washing off the dirt. Probably the best pic of it to show is the middle in my recent post. It has some mint luster with mint red on the reverse and the fields glossy and makes the old king stand out. iT never saw circulation except briefly in the hands of the paymaster and the officer. I have no doubt it was a hard loss for him. A always thanks for your remarks .Gary

Last edited:

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HaHa Gary, you made banner with this one, well deserved. Beautiful

nick54

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2016
northern ca
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a fantastic find, hoping someday I too find a gold coin.....

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that is a fantastic find, hoping someday I too find a gold coin.....

Nick54
Thank u very much and when u do find yours it indeed will be a
Shock & Awe" moment as well. One thing I can write here is Expect the Unexpected" . One feature on the Deus I have learned to use is the "depth reading" . I use it often when u can't swing a coil and believe it or not get greater depth than just in the FAST(RELIC) mode an expect in others as well. Good luck . I want o see that Cal gold when u find one. Gary

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you so much for the photos and the back story. Obviously, this is an incredible find. So often it is on the "last dig of the day" or "on the way back to the vehicle" that these things seem to happen. Thank you for giving credence to the phrase, "You never know..." I know that this find and the story will bring you pleasure for many years to come.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you so much for the photos and the back story. Obviously, this is an incredible find. So often it is on the "last dig of the day" or "on the way back to the vehicle" that these things seem to happen. Thank you for giving credence to the phrase, "You never know..." I know that this find and the story will bring you pleasure for many years to come.

Brian
Thank u very much or your kind words . Yes indeed I have had a few of those "last dig of the day", as was the little gold coin and my "Shock & Awe" moment and also "on they way back to the vehicle in my last 23 years hunting this site moments . . First since Tnet will put me off before I finish this post I will list it now and come back to finish . I do long posts and often loose them.
Okey I am back . This year I experienced both and hope u don't mind me going back into "The Wayback Machine" to write about one of them. The first the little gold coin as the last dig of the day . The 2nd on my was back to the car . In my first 8 years of relic hunting Castine had found enough ordnance to write my first of 6 articles for Western Eastern Treasure mag called ' Have a Ball". Back then I mainly looked for ordnance. One day I had hunted hard for about 8 warm hours , dog tired ,and looked like a skunk day. On the way back to my car was literally dragging my coil on the ground behind me. About 150 feet from the car get a beep in my headphones. Dig down about 3 inches and see the top of a 6 pounder cannon ball. Man that was a great ending to a long hot day. "Wait it gets better" as in the commercials. So I get the ball home and start cleaning it and find a French Flur DE Leis . Man that was a shock . However I had to wonder what a French CB was doing in an American/ British battle/siege .So did more research and learned when the Brits arrived in June of 1779 they had captured a French ship called the Saint Helena and brought her and her 14- 6 pound cannons into service . Question answered. So that was my 'back to the car" moment u mentioned. Fast forward to 8 April this year and my first day to hunt Castine. It was cold one but as chomping at the bit to hunt. So I park when I usually do and a couple hunted feet where I found the French 6 those many years ago. On my way up the path I am thinking about that ball found 15 yars ago and looking into the woods where it was found saying to myself man I would love to find another one of them . So I take a right turn into that wood, fire up the Deus and start swinging. On my 5th swing over a tree stump to my surprize get a hit. Thinking yup that's gotta be junk dig down about 6 inches and uncover thee top of a cannon ball. I had dug enough sides to know this was another 6 . Now is it another French one? Get it home and yup it is. The Brits were firing on the American's using the French ordnance. So I get a two fer. One about 15 years apart .Man I just love this hobby and sure u agree. BTW the smiley face was my idea. Yup keep dreaming as in this great and wonderful hobby they indeed can come true and expect the unexpected and be ready to put a smile on your face as seen on this French ball.. Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3263.JPG
    DSCN3263.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN3269.JPG
    DSCN3269.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN3367.JPG
    DSCN3367.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN3272.JPG
    DSCN3272.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN3274.JPG
    DSCN3274.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tentis. Thanks and the French ball in the 5 pics was April 8th this year. The lastan accumulation from 1995-2005 before I wrote "Have a Ball and published in 2006.Gary

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In EVERYONE on this forum's wildest dream! Plucking a gold coin from the darkness of the earths crust. And having pulled several gold rings from watery highly acidic soil looking like they were just lost, there is no doubt in my mind that a gold coin would come out relatively clean from mere forest dirt. Silver even does, most of the time.

That is why they are Precious Metals, and why us mortals desire them so.... What an AWESOME find, Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions