What's new

Rex C Merritt Drug Store

robertk

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 16, 2023
Messages
7,136
Reaction score
34,582
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting


IMG_3056.webp

Bottle Vitals​


DateColorShapeSize (Height x Diameter)Value*
Rex C Merritt Drug Store1906ClearRectangular3.75" x 1.5" x 0.875"$20.00

Bottle Views (click to enlarge):
FrontBackSideSideBottom
IMG_3056.webpIMG_3057.webpIMG_3058.webpIMG_3059.webpIMG_3060.webp
Rex C Merritt
Drug Store
Constantine, Mich
(measuring scale)(measuring scale)
This little bottle is one of the newest ones in the collection. It might possibly be from the 1890's, but since the only definitive dates I can find are from 1906, I'm going with that.

This bottle advertises the Rex C Merritt Drug Store, in Constantine, Michigan. You would think with such specific details, it would be simple to find. It was not. But, persistence and some luck paid off.

The Merritt Drug Store was founded by Rex Charles Merritt, in Constantine, Michigan around 1900. Mr Merritt was born in 1877, one of three sons of Charles Merritt. He went to Parsons Business College in 1899 (click to enlarge)
The_Kalamazoo_Gazette_1899_09_10_6.webp

He then served as a desk clerk and later bookkeeper at the American House.
The_Kalamazoo_Gazette_1899_06_27_4.webp The_Kalamazoo_Gazette_1899_08_03_4.webp

It isn't clear when those dropped and his drug store started, but it was between 1900 and 1906. The only advertising I could find for his store was all from 1906, and all in a local Constantine newspaper. Click any of the ads to enlarge.
ScreenFloat Shot of Safari at Jun 23, 2025 at 12_23_19 PM.webp
ScreenFloat Shot of Safari at Jun 23, 2025 at 12_21_09 PM.webp ScreenFloat Shot of Safari at Jun 23, 2025 at 12_20_10 PM.webp ScreenFloat Shot of Safari at Jun 23, 2025 at 12_19_19 PM.webp ScreenFloat Shot of Safari at Jun 23, 2025 at 12_18_24 PM.webp ScreenFloat Shot of Safari at Jun 23, 2025 at 12_16_28 PM.webp ScreenFloat Shot of Safari at Jun 23, 2025 at 12_24_35 PM.webp

He got married in 1905, so was probably super busy that year. (His wife then won a diamond ring in a. subscription contest held by the Herald and Telegraph in Kalamazoo contest four years later, in 1909.).

Constantine was a bustling town back in the day (click to enlarge):
4a89033a4224270821f4c9c5c628c919.webp 4e0a94de7e3d4ad315b5b69fd1dd7790.webp 8a4b19cce2d394163ab36ed3c2b710ab.webp

It's still around today, remaining a small town of about 2500 people. It even still has some of the historic storefronts, though Merritt's Drug Store is long gone.
340px-Main_Street_Constantine_Michigan.webp

I found one source that said the business was sold in 1907, but it did not specify to whom, and I couldn't find an independent verification of the sale, so I'm not certain of that. But I do know that by 1909, Mr Merritt had turned his attention to other things. He was granted a patent for a washing machine improvement in 1909. Here are the pages of the patent if you're curious (click to enlarge):

patent3.webp patent2.webp patent1.webp

It is unknown what this little bottle contained, though it was most likely a cough syrup or cold remedy. It was liquid, as evidenced by the dosage gauges on the sides (on in CC's, the other presumably just a quantity).

Here's the before and after. Just soap and water, brushes, and a scraper. Whatever that little bit of stuff is down in the corner is, it's really stuck. For now, I'm just leaving it as is.

IMG_3051.webp IMG_3056.webp

* Value is based on sold eBay listings as of the date of posting and varies with condition.
 
Great job Robert....! I was born and raised there and went to school K-12 there. All of those bottles you have now were found about 2 blocks from the pics above of downtown Constantine. You sure did a lot better than I in finding info on that little bottle.... Your very good at it Robert. Keep it up sir....!
 
Great job Robert....! I was born and raised there and went to school K-12 there. All of those bottles you have now were found about 2 blocks from the pics above of downtown Constantine. You sure did a lot better than I in finding info on that little bottle.... Your very good at it Robert. Keep it up sir....!
Oh that's so cool! I didn't realize it had a personal connection like that!

It was definitely not easy to hunt down. It was worse because at first I thought the last name was "Merrill". The cross hatches on the T's are very thin and very hard to see. But even knowing that, it was rough. I finally found Rex's father in a geneaology database, and that broke the ice. From there, it got quite a bit easier. But there's just not a ton of info out there. I would have liked to add more detail specifically about the store, but if it's out there, it's hidden pretty good.
 
SUPER find Robert & excellent follow up on the research ! :icon_thumleft: :occasion14:
Thanks! I can't take credit for the find, though -- that credit (and my thanks) goes to @Limitool . (See his post here.)
 
Your research is fantastic though Robert.
Kudos to you.
That I totally agree with sir....! I'm SO GLAD Robert drove from Missouri to Tennessee to get these bottles from me. His research is fantastic. I feel blessed to have Robert doing what he's doing with that big collection.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom