Rhode Island Ground Slate Blade

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not a personal find. But rare as hen's teeth, and I had to bring it home to RI where it was found. Our member mainejman finds ground slate artifacts made by the Maritime Archaic of coastal Maine, aka the Red Paint People, aka the Late Archaic Moorehead Phase.

But, there was another Late Archaic culture, the Vergennes Phase of the Laurentian Tradition( a tradition that included Brewerton points) that made ground slate implements, and probably inspired by the Red Paint examples from Maine. The diagnostic point type of the Vergennes Phase in the Northeast are Otter Creek Points(The SE analog would be Big Sandy points). Two RI Otter Creek points seen below. The ground slate points made by this culture are found in all the New England states and NY, and probably a bit further afield. Many of their slate points show notches on the stem, as this RI example does. The illustration is from Willoughby's "Antiquities of the New England Indians"(1935), and shows Vergennes Phase ground slate points from Vermont. The RI point is just under 5".

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Part of a cache of 11 ground slate blades from Vermont. Largest is about a foot in length as I recall.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 92

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those slate points are awesome and cool! :icon_thumright: I sincerely hope you have the opportunity to find some of those.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Rare as hen's teeth is right! Nice pieces you have there. Do you think ground slate points were ceremonial or used as a means to survive?

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rare as hen's teeth is right! Nice pieces you have there. Do you think ground slate points were ceremonial or used as a means to survive?

Among the Maritime Archaic people of Maine and Maritime Canada, they were very much part of the survival tool kit, especially for hunting fish and sea mammals. Ground slate is especially effective for killing sea mammals. No surprise Eskimo ground slate is so similar. In fact, their slate points often have notched stems as well. On the other hand, very large examples, well over a foot, are frequently found in the context of the Maritime Archaic's famous red paint(ochre) burials.

As for the Vergennes Phase usage, there too the slate tools saw utilitarian usage. I can see usage wear on one edge of the RI example. But, this is slate, and it's a fragile lithic for what would be normally flaked stone tools. In the second photo of the RI point, you can see a crack at tip, and a piece in center of blade that are both quite capable of peeling right off! If I'm not careful, yikes. The nature of slate after all. But they were used nonetheless. Like anything else, however, there must have been ceremonial/burial contexts for the biggest and best, just as is often the case with other classes of artifacts in that fashion.

The cache from Vermont is not mine!

From Willoughby's 1935 book cited above, these are all examples found in burial context, from Maine, hence the Red Paint People(an older term really since so many people used ochre in burials). So these might be described as "ceremonial". The largest go by the term slate bayonet.

Correction: there are some surface finds in the first illustration, noted in the caption.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Smokes- those are beautiful!! And that cache is just amazing- I think I would have passed out cold if I'd been the one to find those beauties! Now I REALLY want to get back up there and give it a go! Found in back country MA too?? (crossing fingers) Thanks for another awesome show and tutorial! Yakker

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread