RIFLE RANGE FINDS - What are they??.......

D

dugupfinds

Map evidence of the range is 1885 but I think it is earlier.

I have found lots of bullets from the Enfield & martini-henry.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,59417.0.html

Picture 1 - Lid to an ammo box or door handle?

Picture 2 - brass thing with a hook on one end & "12" on the other side.

Picture 3 - Lead things

Picture 4 - More lead things, the things in the front seem to fit on the top (one has a 6 or 9 on it in the circle)??

Attachments

• ammo lid.JPG
    ammo lid.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 587
  • mystery brass thing.JPG
    mystery brass thing.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 578
  • lead things.JPG
    lead things.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 580
  • mystery.JPG
    mystery.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 585
T

TreasureTales

Photo #1--Possibly a drawer pull (like from a chest of drawers or a sideboard)
Photo #2--Possibly part of a 12 gauge reloading tool
Photo #3--Dunno
Photo #4--Dunno

Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
dugfinds said:
Picture 3 - Lead things
Picture 4 - More lead things, the things in the front seem to fit on the top (one has a 6 or 9 on it in the circle)??

This is easy. Those are spent bullets that have been fired from a gun. I've collected several that I've fired. Sometimes they liquify and form a splash pattern. Other times they flatten out or turn to claws. Did you find any jackets nex to them that had also deformed?

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
MiddenMonster said:
dugfinds said:
Picture 3 - Lead things

This is easy. Those are spent bullets that have been fired from a gun. I've collected several that I've fired. Sometimes they liquify and form a splash pattern. Other times they flatten out or turn to claws.

The top two items in photo #4 appear to be shotgun slugs.

Upvote 0

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Looks like most of the lead objects are sprues from bullet casting. A sprue is the lead that overflowed the mold.It is sheared off from the top of the mold,leaving just the bullet in the mold.Then the mold is opened to drop the bullet out. The two objects at the top of the bottom photo look very similar to a Foster type of shotgun slug. Used mostly for deer hunting.

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

junkdigger said:
...The two objects at the top of the bottom photo look very similar to a Foster type of shotgun slug. Used mostly for deer hunting.

Ah, yes, now I remember...they are for "slug guns" or shotgun slugs used for big game...right you are!!! Still being made today.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

TreasureTales said:
Photo #3--Dunno
Photo #4--Dunno

What is a 12 gauge reloading tool, when were they used?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

junkdigger said:
Looks like most of the lead objects are sprues from bullet casting. A sprue is the lead that overflowed the mold.It is sheared off from the top of the mold,leaving just the bullet in the mold.Then the mold is opened to drop the bullet out. The two objects at the top of the bottom photo look very similar to a Foster type of shotgun slug. Used mostly for deer hunting.

Cheers, thats what I thought too.

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

dugfinds said:
TreasureTales said:
Photo #3--Dunno
Photo #4--Dunno

What is a 12 gauge reloading tool, when were they used?

Reloading dies/tools are devices that guys (and gals) use to refill their spent shotshells. They reload them themselves and by doing so they can save some money and recycle the hulls. They are still made today and have been around for quite awhile. This website might explain them better than I can. http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=2

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Yep, the last pic has a couple of the big shotgun slugs. You can tell them by that wierd looking grooving around the edges. They usually use those where it isn't legal to hunt with rifles due to proximity of homes. They don't fire as far, but pack a wallop.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think photo number two might be a spent cartridge extractor - necessary when your rifle or shotgun doesn't eject the shell casing after you fire. This would be a common tool at a firing range and more likely than reloading equipment.

images

12 gauge cartridge extractor (modern)

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

DCMatt said:
I think photo number two might be a spent cartridge extractor - necessary when your rifle or shotgun doesn't eject the shell casing after you fire. This would be a common tool at a firing range and more likely than reloading equipment.

images

12 gauge cartridge extractor (modern)

DCMatt

Nice one - all helps towards the museum display discriptions. - Cheers

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread