Not flo blue butter dish? Update...it does have a backmark...see my third post.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Attachments

• Flo blue.JPG
    Flo blue.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 311
  • size.JPG
    size.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 310

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Not flo blue butter dish?

Nice early butter pat. Probably Chinese or Japanese.
$5.00 under the right circumstances. Good find. Looks to be in great shape. Any back mark?

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Agree it is a butter pat. But I'd raise the ante a tad and say it would fetch more than a 5 spot. Pre 1900 (or whenever the import law was initiated requiring the country of origin be indicated on everything imported). Early Blue Willow?? Chinese trade item?? Handmade, handpainted, nice glaze.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

TreasureTales said:
Agree it is a butter pat. But I'd raise the ante a tad and say it would fetch more than a 5 spot. Pre 1900 (or whenever the import law was initiated requiring the country of origin be indicated on everything imported). Early Blue Willow?? Chinese trade item?? Handmade, handpainted, nice glaze.
All I know about antique dishware is that if it is marked lemoges that it could be worth quite a bit. I know that this looks like flo blue but it can't be because it's imperfect angles and lines are evident, indicating a hand made piece. Also I just realized...what I thought was an imperfection in the bottom of the dish is a backmark. I tried taking a picture to enhance it but the mark is so small it comes out fuzzy. It's either a "6", "G", or a "C". It's small enought that my eyes can't tell what it is.

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
Definitely a stoneware blue slip butter pat .
Might want to check with these folks for identification and worth...

http://amres.com/catalogs/POBP.asp

There are butter pat collectors out there, but in my almost 30 years as a antique dealer, I have seen very few.
According to Gypsy's link, your pat would be in the 10 to 20 dollar price range. It is a very early one. I have never sold one for that much. No matter, it is still a very nice display item. Finding intact items when relic hunting is unique. Bottom line to me, if I found one, it would be priceless. It seems also that anything with blue on it today is considered flow blue, which is not so. Your item I would not think would fall in that section (spliting hairs, its borderline) , but that does not make it worth less. :D
DG

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Although many butter pats can be found for under $10, there are those that sell for hundreds of dollars. One pattern that Royal Copenhagen continues to manufacture in butter-pat size and sell at its locations in the United States is the hand-painted Flora Danica pat as part of its complete set of china. Each individual butter pat retails for approximately $550 and, since this is an import item, waiting time can be up to one year. Railroad pats regularly sell for hundreds of dollars at auction on eBay.com.

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
Although many butter pats can be found for under $10, there are those that sell for hundreds of dollars. One pattern that Royal Copenhagen continues to manufacture in butter-pat size and sell at its locations in the United States is the hand-painted Flora Danica pat as part of its complete set of china. Each individual butter pat retails for approximately $550 and, since this is an import item, waiting time can be up to one year. Railroad pats regularly sell for hundreds of dollars at auction on eBay.com.
I agree with you 100 %, but would you pay that much for one? I try to look at it from a everyday real world prospective. :)

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: Not flo blue butter dish? Update...it does have a backmark...see my third po

dg39 said:
I agree with you 100 %, but would you pay that much for one? I try to look at it from a everyday real world prospective. :)

The "real world" is real enough is someone else is willing to pay that price. For example, here are four butter pats sold by railroadiana experts Bill and Sue Knous earlier this year— prices realized, not estimated or suggested. Note that these prices were paid by highly knowledgeable and experienced collectors, not uninformed impulse buyers. Numerous other examples can be found at the Railroad Memories website.

IG3133-0.jpg $282.15 IG3135-0.jpg $321.00 IG3156-0.jpg $137.50 IG3152-0.jpg $193.59​

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Here's what I think is interesting about this. This dish is in tact. It is in great shape. Why is it in the trash heap? I have done a little bit of digging...not enought to know what the hell I am talking about...(ie pretty much scratched the tops of two or three heaps that need to be excavated really good to find the valuables)...but I have seen enough to know that people used to throw away their china when it was broken. Why throw away something functional? Was it a mistake? Was it lying under leftover mashed taters and dumped? Or was the rest of the set broken leaving an unmatched pat?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
So how about the backmark? "6", "G", or "C". Anyone got any ideas about that? I would be happy with 10-20 bucks. It more than paid for the gas to get to the site. Even if it's only going to sit in my display cabinet with the rest of my finds.

Upvote 0

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skrimp, I just noticed the Primus lyrics at the bottom of your posts!! My son is a bass player and loves Claypool. That guy does some crazy stuff with 4 strings!!

"Jerry was a racecar driver. He drove so g*&&@#^^ed fast. He never did win no checkered flag but he never did come in last."

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread