What's new

Rim painting....

cdickrun64

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Messages
945
Reaction score
724
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoever is doing it......knock it off......its juvenile......grow up.
 
Upvote 0
Got a few of those this week too here in N.Y.C.
 
I have come across only one or two such coins so far and it is a bit depressing and wrong. Just like it is wrong to mark up all over the obverse and reverse of halves so over time it looks like a mess of graffiti. I am not saying that an already beat up coin is disfigured by some marks, but what I see in my area is EVERY single coin has to get a mark, then another, and another, etc.

I guess the only good that can come from rim painting is if some of the CRHers who mark up their coins as described above wind up getting "punked" by finding the painted rims. In that case I think it is "just desserts".

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
 
I come across a couple of the silver painted rims every month in this hobby and some look so real I do the woo-hoo chant and then when I realize they are painted I swear in disgust! :icon_scratch: Why people do this I have no idea - hopefully they come across their own trick painted coins or find customer rolls that say Walker, Franklin, 1964, etc. and get punked with skunks too! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
I agree with you all. If you are painting rims and read this, how about knocking it off.
Remember...this a hobby not a TV game show! Just my opinion.
rileyboy
 
I have ran across some out here also- They looked like they used silver paint almost a light silver color and dipped them around the coin.
 
That would be a real bummer, I'm just not sure I understand the reasoning behind it ? what does one gain from this kinda of behavior... oh nothing at all. Have not run across any yet, but I totally agree
 
Ya know I dont even bother rim checking anymore. I just use the sound check while watching tv.
 
that sucks a lot..
i don't mind the coin marking so much, if it's right or wrong - at least people have a reason to do that.
rim painting is just plain annoying and stupid.
and it is depressing sometimes.
knock it off!
 
I haven't found any rim painted coins yet.

The people that think rim painting is funny: how many keepers would they have found had they spent their time CRHing instead of painting rims?
 
since its cdick :o who started the thread, allow me to retort - I think its hilarious! It slows down the edge searchers. Date searching is unaffected by gold or silver paint!!
lol

In all seriousness, I think most of us use a waterfall method or sound test, that's probably the best way to confirm.
 
I run across several of them in each Box or Customer Rolled Wrapper that I do. I live in Florida so if you are outside of Florida it appears that it might be more than just one person.
 
These are the people that snapped towels and gave wedgies in middle school. Anyone who thinks it is funny probably was the towel snapper in their class. Problem is, you are an adult now and childish pranks should have stopped being funny when you went into high school. Who knows, I have seen posts from people claiming they are 13 on this board, so maybe it is a kid doing it. I like to think so, as finding out a grown person would spend time doing this is sad.
 
Found my first one this past week. It was a disappointment when I saw what is really was, but it did make me laugh. I didn't realize at the time that I should have been outraged and angered. Will try harder if i find any more.
 
Maybe I am the odd one here. I've seen at least a dozen of them and after the first couple I can spot the painted ones as soon as I push them out of the roll. They are easy to spot, but I maybe when I get old and the eyes start to fade a bit I might have the same problem people here are :laughing7:.

If people want to play the coin painting game they are wasting their time not mine, so actually I am the one getting the chuckle.

And painted or not, they don't pass the sound check.
 
I have never seen one. Just proves people have better manners in the south... :wink:
 
Stop giving air time to the juvenile, it probably makes him happy.
 
I'm in North Carolina and hit a box with several painted rims while on a seven box skunk string. >:(
 
What color was it painted? Might be the same as the ones i'm seeing
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom