A very nice old hand made piece. Not glass.... Could be amethyst.Breezie said:There are several test I use for real vs. fake stones. Yours look to be an amethyst. After cleaning it, look with a magnifying glass for color bands. The color bands should be straight lines with no curves. Amethyst are quartz, so it should be cold when you touch it to your cheek. You can also put it under a pair of polarized sunglasses, then rotate it, and it should change colors from light to dark. As far as the date is concerned, I'd say Victorian. Neat find, Breezie

thrillathahunt said:Breezie said:There are several test I use for real vs. fake stones. Yours look to be an amethyst. After cleaning it, look with a magnifying glass for color bands. The color bands should be straight lines with no curves. Amethyst are quartz, so it should be cold when you touch it to your cheek. You can also put it under a pair of polarized sunglasses, then rotate it, and it should change colors from light to dark. As far as the date is concerned, I'd say Victorian. Neat find, Breezie
Beezie...... it is too ugly to be Victorian! Sorry mainer, I had to say it.![]()