fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I don't have anything better to do I have been going through my finds and noticed this ring had a hallmark in it. After many attempts with different cameras I was finally able to get a clear enough shot with my digital microscope. It is merely an 18 in a box. Can anyone date this ring by that hallmark? There is no finish left on it and the joint is clearly visible to me but may not show in the pictures.

Attachments

• ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
  • SingleShot0003a.jpg
    SingleShot0003a.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 44

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I don’t know but that’s a nifty little display clamp. In certain conditions you would also get a ticket for that, in this state.

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Over the span of years I have dug a few as well with different stamps as 10K-14K-18K that were nothing more than a gold washed band that has lost the wash over time.
I'm not sure if they sold as a XK wash/plated ring or a dupe sale.

Upvote 0

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an identical ring on a civil war battle site last year. The people hunting with me said it most likely belonged to a soldier who left his gold ring at home. This one was once plated in gold (18k?) but almost all of it had worn off by the time I found it:

ring2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know but that’s a nifty little display clamp. In certain conditions you would also get a ticket for that, in this state.

I haven't smoked a Doobie in over 50 years!:laughing7:

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was once a fake gold ring made of copper/brass & plated. The 18, normally 18K was to fool people - late 19th C probably.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was once a fake gold ring made of copper/brass & plated. The 18, normally 18K was to fool people - late 19th C probably.

Thanks. That would coincide with the time period of the site I hunted. Maybe not a fake to fool someone but a cheap ring that was all the owner could afford?

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote about these a few times in the past
they were sold by scammers - I remember an old movie that had a bit in it - could have been abbot & costello
guy come up on the street and says "Hey buddy I got a wife and 5 kids and need money ...can you give me $50 for this ring ?
I need rent money and to feed my family... How bout $40...its worth a $100...How bout $20?"
have seen more stamped 18K over the yrs - have also seen some in box stamped SOLID GOLD or PURE GOLD
they were just highly polished brass or plated at time of sale - after some wear they would turn your finger green

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. That would coincide with the time period of the site I hunted. Maybe not a fake to fool someone but a cheap ring that was all the owner could afford?
Yes, some were not fooled but brought these cheap replacements during times of war, like the CW. It meant they could leave the real ring safe with the wife & kids because if he died it would keep them feed for a month or so. The fake one showed he was still married & if he died in combat it wouldn't matter if it got stolen or never made its way back.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread