What's new

Ring Question

minton7

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2007
Messages
981
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Location
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I pulled a little ring out of the local lake... marked 14k on the inside band.. but the gold color is off on part of it revealing silver color... im guessing this means its a fake stamp or something? I dont have pix yet... just curious before I went to have it checked
 
Upvote 0
its prolly 14k plate over sterling hard to tell without pics
 
More than likely I'd say its the genuine article. It was probably white gold at one time and the rodium plating has worn off on most of the surface but the white (silver) that you see is all thats left. Give it the magnet test, better yet, find a good goldsmith or a good reputable jeweler who you can trust to give you professional appraisal information on your finds. You'll need it in this hobby. Sadly, alot of jewelers cannot be trusted because they really don't know thier business that well or they will want to rip you off. Often already knowing what I have, I will take a piece into a jewelry shop just to see what they will say about it, lots of them don't have clue, especially if its an un-marked piece. :-\
 
why would white gold be plated wth rhodium?if it was gold woulndt they just use yellow gold in 14k instead of plating white 14k?
 
White gold used to be made with nickel, now it is made by plating gold with rodium...
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
White gold used to be made with nickel, now it is made by plating gold with rodium...
This is right. White gold used to be made by combining it with nickel to make it harder. Rose gold is made by combining it with copper for hardness also but it gives it a faint copper color. As for the stamp it could be stamped wrong or poured in a mold with the "stamp" right in the mold to save time.

It is best to test all items yourself instead of asking a jeweler as they will tell you it is a good fake but offer to buy it from you for pennies. An appraisal costs money and they don't do these for free unless you really know the jeweler.
 
I have found gold rings that have an area of discoloration where the jewler sized the ring and welded it back together.
 
Sandman said:
It is best to test all items yourself instead of asking a jeweler as they will tell you it is a good fake but offer to buy it from you for pennies. An appraisal costs money and they don't do these for free unless you really know the jeweler.

I second the motion. Get an acid test kit. A starter kit can be purchased on the cheap, they are fairly easy to use, and allow you to build skill in becoming proficient in identifying gold, which for a beach hunter is a nice bonus.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom