What's new

RIP Las Vegas Nickel Machines

Immy

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
2,999
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting


Of all the pictures I've posted on TNet, this is the saddest.

Yesterday I discovered that the last six nickel machines at the El Cortez Hotel, in fact in all of Las Vegas, were mothballed a few days ago. The chairs you see in the pic are where they once stood. It was a depressing moment, and it means the end of my casino nickel searching after 37 years. I will have to be content with the 59 quarter machines and 9 half dollar slots that are left, though they obviously won't be an adequate substitute. I'll say more in my Casino Royale thread, including a nickel stat retrospective eventually, but I wanted to post here for better visibility.

Thanks nickel slots. You've added volumes to my collection and untold enjoyment to my free time.
 
Upvote 7
Do the half dollar slots still produce anything, or are they just retreads of the same coins, over and over. (Might want to mark to do a test)
 


Of all the pictures I've posted on TNet, this is the saddest.

Yesterday I discovered that the last six nickel machines at the El Cortez Hotel, in fact in all of Las Vegas, were mothballed a few days ago. The chairs you see in the pic are where they once stood. It was a depressing moment, and it means the end of my casino nickel searching after 37 years. I will have to be content with the 59 quarter machines and 9 half dollar slots that are left, though they obviously won't be an adequate substitute. I'll say more in my Casino Royale thread, including a nickel stat retrospective eventually, but I wanted to post here for better visibility.

Thanks nickel slots. You've added volumes to my collection and untold enjoyment to my free time.
Sad that they're taking these out now, but then again, I thought the slots were dead after they went with the electronic machines, not fun to just press a button.......
I thought I heard that there was at least one casino that had a floor of only older machines but can't verify.
 
Do the half dollar slots still produce anything, or are they just retreads of the same coins, over and over. (Might want to mark to do a test)
If you're an NIFC collector, it's a haven. Silver is pretty scarce but it does appear on rare occasions, usually 40%ers.

Sad that they're taking these out now, but then again, I thought the slots were dead after they went with the electronic machines, not fun to just press a button.......
I thought I heard that there was at least one casino that had a floor of only older machines but can't verify.
There was another one - The Klondike - that had two locations but the coin-op location closed and the other one is coinless. Would love to be proven wrong though. Let me know if you find anything.
 
Last time I checked, Circus Circus still had token slots.
Don....
Just called them. They referred me to Slots-A-Fun next door that has coin-op quarters, dollars and five dollars. No nickels. :-[
 
Just a little epilogue to this thread.

Many months have passed since the Cortez banished nickel slots. I still visit several times a year...my haircut guy is there (if you're in the neighborhood, stop by the Speakeasy Barbershop. You'll get a great cut and laugh your butt off at the same time!) :laughing7:

But strolling thru the casino today I noticed all the half dollar machines are also gone. :sad1:

Only 36 quarter machines left. There were close to 60 when nickels disappeared. Just sad.

For the record, Slots-a-Fun (next to the Circus Circus) mentioned in the previous posts also have quarter slots as well as $1 & $5 token machines, and I've recently discovered an off-Strip casino called The Skyline that also has quarter slots. Have yet to visit them.
 
Sad that they're taking these out now, but then again, I thought the slots were dead after they went with the electronic machines, not fun to just press a button.......
I thought I heard that there was at least one casino that had a floor of only older machines but can't verify.
the Handle was addictive , Good for the Casinos, But bad to the Anti Gambling "Yahoos" who are trying to save the world from people enjoying life :tongue3:

they did away with coins all together in Atlantic city.
Now you get a Paper Slip like Coinstar :(

Probably the same here in PA :( hollywood Casino at Penn National Horse track is only 15 Mile away, I won't waste my time to find out , For a Paper slip
 
Last edited:
I remember back in the late 70s one casino would lure you in by offering a free roll of nickels. Are there any machines that pay in Morgan silver dollar anymore. They had a few of those back then also.
 
I remember back in the late 70s one casino would lure you in by offering a free roll of nickels. Are there any machines that pay in Morgan silver dollar anymore. They had a few of those back then also.
before PA Had Gambling, Atlantic city By bus was $20
& They would give you $27.50 in Quarters once you entered the Casino . once Pennsylvania legalized gambling A.C. tanked.
And they stopped luring pa residence and got rid of thousands of machines there. there are now whole areas that are empty and blocked off in the casinos.

looks like late 80's it died
000aaa.webp
 
Last edited:
In 1962 I worked at the Nevada Club Casino; at that time next to the Golden Nugget downtown (although I didn't show that employment on any subsequent employment application).
At that time we had shot machines in all denomination--though I don't remember a silver dollar slot machine. I was a coin collector then but never had enough money to buy the coins that I couldn't find in circulation. However, I was able to collect a dozen Variety One SLQs (1916-1917)--and still have them-though none are '16s.
Don in SoCal
 
In 1962 I worked at the Nevada Club Casino; at that time next to the Golden Nugget downtown (although I didn't show that employment on any subsequent employment application).
At that time we had shot machines in all denomination--though I don't remember a silver dollar slot machine. I was a coin collector then but never had enough money to buy the coins that I couldn't find in circulation. However, I was able to collect a dozen Variety One SLQs (1916-1917)--and still have them-though none are '16s.
Don in SoCal
That's amazing. Coin-op machines these days reject silver quarters but once in awhile they get into the fill bags and can be found when cashing out.

I remember dime slots in the mid 80s. $100 would yield four or five silvers.
 
Do the half dollar slots still produce anything, or are they just retreads of the same coins, over and over. (Might want to mark to do a test)
I have found 40% silvers, but no 90%. at casinos. Has anyone else noticed that you don't seem to win as often now that they've done away with coin slots?
 
the Handle was addictive , Good for the Casinos, But bad to the Anti Gambling "Yahoos" who are trying to save the world from people enjoying life :tongue3:

they did away with coins all together in Atlantic city.
Now you get a Paper Slip like Coinstar :(

Probably the same here in PA :( hollywood Casino at Penn National Horse track is only 15 Mile away, I won't waste my time to find out , For a Paper slip
We used to call them one arm bandits.

Today its all button pushing. The older machines used to give small little wins to give you hope. the newer machines want you gamble and pay more for bigger jackpots wins. I do not play them much these days everyone I see on slot machines look so serious and miserable. You play these machines for entertainment. if you win that is bonus. You can never win back what you have lost but people try. I have seem peoples marriages and lives ruined by those machines.

Yet some people call them to be banned. I say no because like with many things people need to learn self control and discipline. Those who have lost money on these machine have to take responsibility of their actions. And if they did not lose their money there thy lose it on some thing else.

Crow
 
Yep My Thought and words to my Hunting Partner the Second I saw the Handle of the first one in the Ground

"One Arm Bandit" :laughing7:

zzzz - Copy.webp

What it looked like Originally
9562.webp

Too bad the are not Restorable
 
Last edited:
In my younger years I was a big fan of slots and casino gambling, in general.
Back in the 90's when I was truckin' we had frequent deliveries in Vegas and
Winnemucca, and of course I played the slots when there was time.

Delivered a load of bentonite near Winnemucca, and was spending the night
at the Model T, as they had truck parking out back. Guess I had my head up my
arse that night, 'cause I lost $165 in a slot, and it was all I had.

Next morning I head east on I-80, and then stopped in Battle Mountain, thinking
I was going to have to ask (embarrassed as hell) if my parents could wire me some
money. I had four quarters left in my pocket, and I dropped them into a slot....and
won $165!
cs.gif


Learned my lesson, and haven't gambled so much as a dime since... :thumbsup:
 

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom