What's new

River Hunting Help

jeramme

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2010
Messages
96
Reaction score
146
Golden Thread
0
Location
MN
Hey all,

Up here in MN....Winter has finally released its cold icy grip...50 degrees...and we're out sun bathing...I guess Einstein was onto something with the relativity thing...anywayz..been taking the kids out along the Missisippi for some fresh air while hoping to find some relics....so far we've only found fossils...hoping you can help me to identify where I should be looking...I know where streams etc drain in is a magnet..but other than that i'm lost...high bank?....waters edge?? top of the bluff...bottom of the bluff...I suppose the higher up the bluff the older it is? anything you got that can get us in the ballpark would be great!!
 
Upvote 0
I have found a lot of artifacts in Iowa and Minnesota while walking smaller rivers and streams. I usually start out by looking for flint chips in the river bed and investigate further if I find any. I also look on the higher ground river banks were the land has eroded. I have had really good luck with that.
 
Best thought off the cuff-- check down this forum. People ask this all the time (well... not ALL the time, but...) frequently. You will find detailed answers-- some short, some long, but answers. And I'm not at all trying to be (mm...that way), But given the number of time that same question's been asked, I think it will be worth your while. Give it a try 1st. And if you don't get the answers you desire, try again- and we'll do our best. Promise. :) Yakker.
 
Cant hunt the rivers here so I wouldnt be of any help. Good Luck
 
If you are finding fossils then you are going to find a point in the same place, but the bigger the stream, river or creek the harder it is to find items. HH
 
Thanks for your help ...I appreciate it!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom