What's new

Rivets for coveralls next to civil war bullet-Solved

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
1,064
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of these rivets says Tuf Nut. They still make clothes but the other looks like it says N&W. I can't find anything on this at all.....does this ring a bell with anybody. Within 5 feet of this I was finding civil war bullets and a shell casing for a carbine so I don't know what it is. Any ideas???
 

Attachments

  • DSC03392.webp
    DSC03392.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC03393.webp
    DSC03393.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 459
Re: Rivets for coveralls next to civil war bullet

If you look at the rivet the n and the w curve on one side and my button does not. The RR is not present either on the button. Is there something else I don't know that might be in a book???
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rivets for coveralls next to civil war bullet

Juanmoretime said:
If you look at the rivet the n and the w curve on one side and my button does not. The RR is not present either on the button. Is there something else I don't know that might be in a book???

I have rechecked the book, and I think yours is actually acoverall button as indicated in the highlighted area of the photo below. However, I have also checked my book called Pictorial Overall Buttons which has photos of just about every coverall/overall/workclothes buttons known to mankind, and yours is not listed. At any rate,this is what info I have at the moment.
 

Attachments

  • button2.webp
    button2.webp
    131.7 KB · Views: 494
Upvote 0
Re: Rivets for coveralls next to civil war bullet

Thanks for your help....actually the N&W railroad was founded before the civil war and two of the family fought for the Confederacy during the war. Just Google N&W railroad and you will see what I mean. This may just remain a mystery as I have no references for buttons like this back in that time but for now your explanation will have to do.!! Again, thanks!

Steve
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rivets for coveralls next to civil war bullet

Juanmoretime said:
Thanks for your help....actually the N&W railroad was founded before the civil war and two of the family fought for the Confederacy during the war. Just Google N&W railroad and you will see what I mean. This may just remain a mystery as I have no references for buttons like this back in that time but for now your explanation will have to do.!! Again, thanks!

Steve

I don't find where N&W per say was around during the war, but rather it was formed from the merger of several railroads. Perhaps I am missing something. Can you provide a link of the history you found? Thanks!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rivets for coveralls next to civil war bullet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_and_Western_Railway

I stand corrected Ron, but here is where I read or thought I read the info. You were correct and I was wrong. Almost like being married!!! Lol!!!

Steve

Now I don't know what that button is, Lord only knows!!! It must be an old company that made overalls thats no longer around????
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rivets for coveralls next to civil war bullet

Juanmoretime said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_and_Western_Railway

I stand corrected Ron, but here is where I read or thought I read the info. You were correct and I was wrong. Almost like being married!!! Lol!!!

Steve

Now I don't know what that button is, Lord only knows!!! It must be an old company that made overalls thats no longer around????

Nice finds. I used to lay track for Norfolk Southern.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rivets for coveralls next to civil war bullet

According to http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Cities/Lynchburg subsection: 118-5292_Kemper_Street_Industrial_HD_2008_NR_final.pdf dated: 24-Nov-2008 ...
"The N&W Overall Company began manufacturing overalls (probably in Roanoke) for the Norfolk & Western Railroad in
1900 (hence the name34). Isadore Sachs, a Russian-born clothing manufacturer, appears in the 1900 census for Roanoke,
Virginia. However, the Jewish Publication Society’s “American Jewish Yearbook” for 1904-1905 lists him in Lynchburg,
care of the N & W Overall Factory. The 1910 census indicates that Sachs was the president of the overall factory, and that
his twenty-six year old son Joseph was a cutter there. By 1920, the census shows that Sachs was no longer the head of the
N & W Overall Company, but was a retail merchant, which is confirmed in the 1925 city directory, which lists him as
owning “Sach’s Sample Store, General Merchandise
."

Actually, the American Jewish Yearbook was correct in listing them as being in Lynchburg, VA. Here is a photo of the N&W Overall Factory in Lynchburg, as well as one of their overall buttons:

Also, check out this neat site for Ghosts of Lynchburg: http://rlfranz.net/Lynchburg/GhostSigns/index.htm
 

Attachments

  • N&W.webp
    N&W.webp
    195.8 KB · Views: 575
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom