Fropa
Hero Member
- Joined
- Feb 27, 2007
- Messages
- 511
- Reaction score
- 29
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- SW Wisconsin
- Detector(s) used
- Whites XLT
Last Friday I went to a city 50 miles away and did some hunting with not very good results ($117 in halves with 4 40%). Well, my wife bought something that didn't work so yesterday we took it back and I of course checked out a bunch of banks I hadn't been to since last summer. I had much better results with some great tellers.
Bank #1 was attached to a grocery store. I asked for halves and he said they didn't have any. I asked about the counting machine and he said there were some but didn't think he could sell them. My new response to that is "I work at a credit union and what we do to sell coins from the machine is....". He said he could probably do that and pulled the bag. They use plastic rather than canvas bags and we could see at least half the coins in the bag were quarters. He started separating the halves and he was asking me some questions about half hunting. He told me he usually can find 1-2 Franklins and sometimes a Walker in the half bags. That got me a little worried that he had pulled all the silver already. He was asking me about 64s and 65-69s. As he was sorting he said "Here's a 64, that's a good one.". He put it in with the others he had sorted and not off to the side, good for me. He saw 2 64s and 4 40% while sorting and didn't try to keep any of them, good guy. It took about 20 min to sort and there was a total of $286 in halves, already better than my whole last search and some guaranteed silver. I had to go to work as soon as we got home so I told my wife to go ahead and search that bag since we knew it had silver. She called me at work and asked how many silver I thought was in the bag. I told her 2 64s and 4-5 40%. Well I was wrong, She found: 54-D Franklin , 4x64, 2x64-D, 1x65, 4x66, 9x67, 6x68-D, 6x69-D, 1x87-D, and 1x07-D. I'm really glad I made this stop.
Bank #2 had $2 worth. They couldn't take the bag off the machine but may be able to have the main branch send a $500 bag to them for me. She called me and said the fee for someone without an account was $20 per bag and $7.50 if I had an account.
I told her I appreciated her checking for me but that was more than I wanted to pay for a bag. No keepers in the $2 worth I got.
Bank #3 was another one in a grocery store. 2 young girls were working there. The first girl said she didn't have any. The other said "I've got 2, do you want them?". She had 2 rolls not 2 halves. Then the other girl rushed back into another room and came out with 3 more rolls. I bought the 5 rolls and then the one girl said "Man, am I glad to get rid of those.". If only all tellers were that glad to give us halves when we asked. No keepers.
Bank #4 wouldn't exchange currency for nonmembers (exact words).
Bank #5 had 1 clad.
Bank #6 had $182 in hand rolls. The teller opened every roll and counted them to make sure they were full rolls. 1x64-D, 1x83-S, 1x02-D, 1x03-P, 1x04-D, and 1x05-D.
Bank #7 $8 with no keepers.
Bank #8 had a bag with $759. She said they normally don't have that many but someone recently dropped them off (someones dumps). I bought them because you just never know. As expected no silver but I did find 2 82-P missing FG.
Bank #9 had a mix of loose and hand rolled. I only had $460 left so I told her that's all I could take. She had $255.50 in loose so she pulled $5.50 out to make things even. I saw 1 silver in the ones she pulled and asked if I could exchange 1 in the bag for one she pulled. She said she thought she heard a silver one and let me swap it out. I'm not sure how many rolls they had but she gave me enough to make a total of $460. 1x64-D, 2x67, and 1x03-P.
Much better than last time: $1,783.50 searched with 1 Franklin, 8x90%, 28x40%, 1x87-D, 2x82-P no FG, 1xProof, and 6xpost 2001.
Bank #1 was attached to a grocery store. I asked for halves and he said they didn't have any. I asked about the counting machine and he said there were some but didn't think he could sell them. My new response to that is "I work at a credit union and what we do to sell coins from the machine is....". He said he could probably do that and pulled the bag. They use plastic rather than canvas bags and we could see at least half the coins in the bag were quarters. He started separating the halves and he was asking me some questions about half hunting. He told me he usually can find 1-2 Franklins and sometimes a Walker in the half bags. That got me a little worried that he had pulled all the silver already. He was asking me about 64s and 65-69s. As he was sorting he said "Here's a 64, that's a good one.". He put it in with the others he had sorted and not off to the side, good for me. He saw 2 64s and 4 40% while sorting and didn't try to keep any of them, good guy. It took about 20 min to sort and there was a total of $286 in halves, already better than my whole last search and some guaranteed silver. I had to go to work as soon as we got home so I told my wife to go ahead and search that bag since we knew it had silver. She called me at work and asked how many silver I thought was in the bag. I told her 2 64s and 4-5 40%. Well I was wrong, She found: 54-D Franklin , 4x64, 2x64-D, 1x65, 4x66, 9x67, 6x68-D, 6x69-D, 1x87-D, and 1x07-D. I'm really glad I made this stop.
Bank #2 had $2 worth. They couldn't take the bag off the machine but may be able to have the main branch send a $500 bag to them for me. She called me and said the fee for someone without an account was $20 per bag and $7.50 if I had an account.
I told her I appreciated her checking for me but that was more than I wanted to pay for a bag. No keepers in the $2 worth I got.Bank #3 was another one in a grocery store. 2 young girls were working there. The first girl said she didn't have any. The other said "I've got 2, do you want them?". She had 2 rolls not 2 halves. Then the other girl rushed back into another room and came out with 3 more rolls. I bought the 5 rolls and then the one girl said "Man, am I glad to get rid of those.". If only all tellers were that glad to give us halves when we asked. No keepers.
Bank #4 wouldn't exchange currency for nonmembers (exact words).
Bank #5 had 1 clad.
Bank #6 had $182 in hand rolls. The teller opened every roll and counted them to make sure they were full rolls. 1x64-D, 1x83-S, 1x02-D, 1x03-P, 1x04-D, and 1x05-D.
Bank #7 $8 with no keepers.
Bank #8 had a bag with $759. She said they normally don't have that many but someone recently dropped them off (someones dumps). I bought them because you just never know. As expected no silver but I did find 2 82-P missing FG.
Bank #9 had a mix of loose and hand rolled. I only had $460 left so I told her that's all I could take. She had $255.50 in loose so she pulled $5.50 out to make things even. I saw 1 silver in the ones she pulled and asked if I could exchange 1 in the bag for one she pulled. She said she thought she heard a silver one and let me swap it out. I'm not sure how many rolls they had but she gave me enough to make a total of $460. 1x64-D, 2x67, and 1x03-P.
Much better than last time: $1,783.50 searched with 1 Franklin, 8x90%, 28x40%, 1x87-D, 2x82-P no FG, 1xProof, and 6xpost 2001.
Upvote
0








