Rock Face

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have decided to start releasing some pics of some of the monuments I have found in the deserts of Southern California.

Some I have already put out, but have left out some key ones for the trails they pertain to. The pics I release will be in no specific order, and I will not show which monumented trails (or stories) they pertain to. If I feel comfortable, I will give an approximate location.

This first one is in The Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. The face looks toward a known well used trail. There are other monuments along the way. Look closely and you will see that the nose is a part of the main rock, and not a piece inserted. Also, there are a number of square carvings in the side of the rock (kind of obscured by the branches).

Best,

Mike

Attachments

• FaceRock1.jpg
    FaceRock1.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,653

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
nice picture gollum and lots of carvings, you guys are finding enough to keep indiana jones busy for life.
chevrons, rattle snake?, turtle?, N,W , dessert sign, lots going on

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Wow that snake is awesome, even the reticulated pattern is so clear.
is he eating the turtle?
did you get a close up of the snake gollum?
I see so many signs on that rock, sounds like its in a national park? (excuse my ignorance im in England)

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peerless67 said:
Wow that snake is awesome, even the reticulated pattern is so clear.
is he eating the turtle?
did you get a close up of the snake gollum?
I see so many signs on that rock, sounds like its in a national park? (excuse my ignorance im in England)

No problem Peerless,

It is in a protected State Park (Anza-Borrego Desert State Park to be exact).

The main monument is the face on the rear rock. The front one may be a turtle, but not positive. Not positive about the snake either. Typically there would not be that many monuments in one stack. Only reason for that many to exist in one spot would be successive monument makers made different shapes at different times. That IS a possibility.

Best,

Mike

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
For those who cant see the snake here are some pics.

Attachments

• indexCA6PPAJG.jpg
    indexCA6PPAJG.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,575
  • snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,545
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you are talking about now.

I would be very careful about seeing carvings in these rocks. They are mostly sandstone, and are all layered. They weather and chip off in strange ways. Next time I'm out I'll look closer at the spot you show, but I think it is just natural weathering of the rocks.

These are also very exposed rocks. Exposed to wind and blown sand, that would basically sandblast the surface (especially over a period of about 240 years (this is very near the Anza Trail, actually about 25 miles North of it).

Best,

Mike

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
well gollum im no expert, infact im as far from expert as you can get.
But if that aint a snake then im a monky's uncle.
There is no way possible that wind, sand, rain or any other natural occurence created that there snake.
next time your out there take a look and a pic if im wrong il hold my hands up but im 100% in my own mind that is a snake and theres more on there to.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were a tribe of local Indians called Kumeya'ay that were semi nomadic that lived in this area about 1000-1200 years ago (approximately). I find their pot shards all the time in the mountains.

potshards2yn0.jpg

potshards3ju0.jpg

They weren't very big on carvings, but they painted a lot.

I will check it out closer next time I'm out. Funny, I was just out that way this morning. I've been out in the desert a lot lately.

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peerless67 said:
well gollum im no expert, infact im as far from expert as you can get.
But if that aint a snake then im a monky's uncle.
There is no way possible that wind, sand, rain or any other natural occurence created that there snake.
next time your out there take a look and a pic if im wrong il hold my hands up but im 100% in my own mind that is a snake and theres more on there to.

I WILL give you this though,

When carvings are sandblasted like that (IF that is one), they get almost unrecognizable. Like this Maltese Cross on a sandstone boulder:

nexttoshaft1xi5.jpg

If you look at it with bare eyes, you about can't see it unless you know where to look. You actually have to stand about 10 feet back, and at a little angle. The pic came out pretty well though.

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that the only reason it came out as well as it did, was because the air was very moist that night, and a lot of it soaked into the sandstone. As it was drying out, the depression where the cross was sort of hung on to the moisture making it look darker.

Best,

Mike

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
Gollum...i have a similiar face....except mine is pint size for a reason....and i'm sure i don't have to tell you why. After we get the survey at this kelly down i'll post it...

Found it june 2nd while i was confirming the pint size equasion and confirming it.

DW

Attachments

• 100_1596-a.jpg
    100_1596-a.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,478
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Peerless,

Not able to get out there today. Border Patrol had the area sealed off. Guess they were catching illegals. Maybe next week.

Best,

Mike

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gollum said:
Hey Peerless,

Not able to get out there today. Border Patrol had the area sealed off. Guess they were catching illegals. Maybe next week.

Best,

Mike

It's about time!!! ;D

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djui5 said:
gollum said:
Hey Peerless,

Best,

Mike

It's about time!!! ;D

Notice I said "GUESS they were catching illegals." They MIGHT have been having a kegger.

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peerless67 said:
anymore pictures yet?

Sorry, not yet. Been a little too busy to get out there lately. I promise, as soon as I get back out there, I'll post some good close ups.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread