82.6 KB · Views: 344
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 350
OP
OP
F

frogwizard

I thought agates all had colorful patterns inside. This one is a uniform color inside. I know the purple is amethyst.

Attachments

• white rock.JPG
    white rock.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 301
  • rocks.JPG
    rocks.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 311
Upvote 0

kbrocks

Greenie
Nov 16, 2006
NC & TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
I would say that the lighter colored stone is Flint or Chert. It is a very close relative of Agate. For what it's worth, not all agates are colorful, it really depends on the type. But that pale creamy color stone you have looks like a lot of the West Texas Flint I have.
The second one, I'm not sure. I have a few like it in my rock pile but never gave them much thought. I've tried tumbling them and they didn't turn out too well.

Upvote 0

cerF

May 15, 2008
NorCal
Detector(s) used
XT 705
Chert, flint and agate are all quartz, but are sedimentary varieties of it, with quartz itself being an igneous mineral. The rock in question looks to be a chert to me. This is evident due to the glassy texture, lack of visible crystal structure and the conchoidal (rounded) fractures which are very indicative of quartz.

Its hard to tell from the photo, but the darker one could possibly be an andesite or gabbro, with associated quartz or a calcite interior. Id have to see it n person to give a definitive answer though.

The purple one is amethyst (quartz).

HH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread