What's new

Rocketing down the copper trail

ironhorse

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2009
Messages
3,919
Reaction score
5,777
Golden Thread
2
Location
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
2
After three fall hunts this year, momentum is starting to gather and success is coming our way!
Me and IP had to do it up right this day, it was his fifteen year anniversary detecting old finds, so I guess we had to go get them.
Things picked up right where we left it last time out, started hitting buttons and an odd copper, then
when I hit the Rev War officers button, we were diverted off the copper trail to find some early military buttons!
My nicest King's American Regiment coat button to date...nice details but lacking gilt.
Hit a nearby field with very similar results, interesting find here was my Irish button...crowned Irish harp flanked by the English rose and Scottish thistle; very similar to devices used on Hibernia coppers.
We crossed the river to another site that was pure Rev War, I got a pair of Royal Provincials one large and one small, some edge loss, but great for the age! A few more buttons and another copper. Interesting find here was a small lead disc stamped with a GR cipher in a crown ( Georgius Rex?)
Closed out the rest of the afternoon at yet another site which produced more buttons and a copper.

Looking forward again to getting out and hitting the copper trail soon!
 

Attachments

  • n1butts.webp
    n1butts.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 203
  • n1kar.webp
    n1kar.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 196
  • n1harp.webp
    n1harp.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 187
  • n1rps.webp
    n1rps.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 179
  • n1gr.webp
    n1gr.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 186
  • n1lot.webp
    n1lot.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 169
  • n1coins.webp
    n1coins.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 36
That is a SWEET button, honestly when IP showed me it before you cleaned it...I would've thought a lot more gold for sure! Impressive haul for sure!!
 
That is a SWEET button, honestly when IP showed me it before you cleaned it...I would've thought a lot more gold for sure! Impressive haul for sure!!


Might seem odd, but for these the thicker the crud the better they seem to clean up. It's probably better to only be able to tell what it is through the corrosion then see sharp detail like his. At least that has been the case for both my big ones that cleaned up well.
 
I'm impressed with the number of quality finds you guys are digging up. Good job on the finds and finding the locations!
 
I came back to check something on this thread, and in the process of doing that noticed how few replies. :icon_scratch: So... :director:Wake up people!

:laughing7:


I thought it was some cool stuff.
 
I came back to check something on this thread, and in the process of doing that noticed how few replies. :icon_scratch: So... :director:Wake up people!

:laughing7:


I thought it was some cool stuff.

I know, sometimes it's hard to get respect for some finds, it's not like I had a GW hiding in there!! lol

Without a doubt one of our finest moments this season!
 
I came back to check something on this thread, and in the process of doing that noticed how few replies. :icon_scratch: So... :director:Wake up people!

:laughing7:


I thought it was some cool stuff.

No question., The Kings American, the unknown Irish buttons, and the stamped (official looking stamp) bit of lead are all great finds. Would love to have dug any one of those on any given day. Can't say no more.
 
Any friend of Bender B.R is a friend of mine. Nice bunch of old goodies from the ground!
Phil
 
Any friend of Bender B.R is a friend of mine. Nice bunch of old goodies from the ground!
Phil

Thanks wagbert!
It's all fun on a bun baby!

And a belated thank you to everyone else who responded as well!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom