What's new

‘Roll-call’ from a 1910’s military dumpsite along the Mexican Border.

SPWalker

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
85
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Henderson, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
‘Roll-call’ from a 1910’s military dumpsite along the Mexican Border.

A friend and I came upon an area last week used to discard trash that is most likely dated from 1905 to 1918 +/-. The general area was once occupied by the US Army on a military post just a few hundred feet from the Rio Grande River. To date we have dug buttons, coins, bottles, and many other personal items from the solders and their families. I myself have found 32 aluminum (or pot medal) dog tags and my friends have found two more. As the dog tags came up I realized that they were either lost in clothing or just thrown away.

Once I got them home and I was able to clean them up, I then stared to be able to read each name on the tags some clearly and others in part. Some of the tags were duplicates and others were singles. All have wear marks around the holes that would have been used with a chain or twine around the necks of the solders. As I cleaned each one, it was like taking ‘Roll call’ 100 years after.

From what I have read over 12,000 solders occupied the area at the turn of the century to protect the border lands from Mexican bandit raids and the threat the United States had from Mexico as the Mexican government was German sympathizers during World War I.

Any one interested in the research to finding the next of kin to any of the solders listed is welcome to do so. Ones we can verify the information I will be able to return the dog tags to them. I know that this has happened in the past (as it is our code). It may also be information that the US Army may want for their archives, so any information on who to contact with the US Army would be appreciated.

The lists of names on the tags are as follows:

Note: Numbers in parenthesis (332256) is on the reverse side of the tag, all other information is on one side. ??? is on areas that I can not read due to corrosion.
-Photos attached-

THOMAS ??????????
4 CAV.
U.S.A.
331652

THOMAS TEDFORD
4” CAV.
U.S.A.
REG.SUP.SGT.
331652

KIRK FRIT Z.
HRS
TR. E. 4.CAV.
U.S.A.
(331872)

??RK FRIT Z.
HRS
TR. E. 4.CAV.
U.S.A.
(331872)

JOSEPH. TOSCANO.
TRP. D. 4. CAV.
U.S.A.
(332302)

JOSEPH. TOSCANO.
PVT
TRP. D 4. CAV.
U.S.A.
(332302)

BOWMAN. MILOW. D
PVT
4
[CROSS SABORS]
?
U.S.A.

BOWMAN. MILOW
PVT
4
[CROSS SABORS]
? [LOOKS Z OVER Z]
U.S.A.
(332362)

GILLMAN.R. CARLE.
PVT.
4TH . CAV.
TROOP. G.
U.S.A.
(332333)

GILLMAN. R. CARLE
BGL
TROOP ‘G’
4TH. CAV.
U.S.A.
(GILMAN)
(332333)

DYCHE ALBERT.
CPL.
TR. L. CAV
U.S.A.
(40)

DYCHE ALBERT
CPL.
TR.E.4.CAV
U.S.A.

WILIIAM O REVIS
332003
PVT.
TROOP H 4TH. CAV
U.S.A.

WILLIAM O REVIS
332003
PVT
TP H 4 CAV
USA

JOHN C. KALLIN
PVT.
TR. E. 4. CAV.
U.S.A.
(331860)

CHARLES F. VARRIER
PVT
TR H 4 CAV
USA
33201?

SAMUAL J WAKENS
338957
CORP
SERGT
TROOP ??
U.S.A.

???IK E KLINZAK
TROOP G
?TH. CAV.
U.S.A.
(332359)

AL?ONSO J. CROSS
TRO?? CAV.

HOUCK GEORGE W
PVT.
TR. E. 4. CAV.
U.S.A.
(331865)

HANS L MADSEN
PVT
TR H 4 CAV
USA
(3?????)

GAR?ND F LYDA?
TR H 4 CAV
USA
(331985)

ITHEL M KING
PVT
TR H CAV
USA
(33I980)

GREEN GEORGE B.
CPL.
TP. E. 4 CAV.
U.S.A.
(331855)

OBERG. EPH???M. W.
U.S.A.
(332.433.)

CARL W. ROHRBECK
PVT
TR H 4 CAV
USA
(332005)

RICHARD A. CATES
PRIVATE
TROOP L 4TH
CAVALRY
U.S.A.
(332264)

ALEXISKR IVCHUCK
PVT.
TROOP G
4TH. CAV.
U.S.A.

EDWARD KINNEY
PVT.
TROOP G
4 TH. CAV.
U.S.A.
(332356)

.PVT. JOHN. THARP
TROOP M
4TH OAV

JOHN LONE
CPL
TP H 4 CAV
USA
(331893)

SILVERIO MAR?IN
TR B 4 CAV
USA
(331990)

RAMOND FRED B.
U.S.A.
(332437

I thought it would also be befitting to post this on Memorial Day week and to pay a small tribute to these solders and to remember their service to our county.

S.P.Walker

Keep on digging
 

Attachments

  • MVC-005S.webp
    MVC-005S.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,828
  • MVC-011S.webp
    MVC-011S.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 2,816
  • MVC-003F.webp
    MVC-003F.webp
    162.9 KB · Views: 2,817
Upvote 0
Man those are cool
 
Great finds, congrats.
 
LKATharp said:
HI! I dont know if u are even checking this post it has been a while, but I saw another post on the geneology site about this link... my great great grandfather was John tharp... I know my dad would love to have his dog tag !~ 2 cool!~

Hope you get an answer.......I sent SPWalker an email so hopefully he will check this post and I responded on the Tharp post at gen you sent also.....
 
To all:

I am still here. I have just been out for a while and I have a new address as of last March. I am still digging and reading post but have not posted any of my new finds in the past several months as well.

Thank you all for your attention and assistance..

Stephen P. Walker
Mc Allen, Texas

On the border, by the sea
 
So Stephen, did you get the dogtag to that Tharp fellow? If so, you are to be highly commended for your good work as a treasure hunter. People like you give this hobby a good reputation, thank you. Happy Hunting to you.
 
Sounds like you are near Ft Bliss. Call the Installation PAO (Public Affairs Office) and they will tell you who to contact.

Cool finds man
C
 
Coda:

Mc Allen, Texas is close to Brownsville and Harlingen. Most Southern tip of Texas. I have not recived word from Tharp but sent him a personal e-mail with my phone number. Hope he can get back to me.

For clarity the list of all tags recovered to date are:

Later to all.
THOMAS ??????????
4 CAV.
U.S.A.
331652

THOMAS TEDFORD
4” CAV.
U.S.A.
REG.SUP.SGT.
331652

KIRK FRIT Z.
HRS
TR. E. 4.CAV.
U.S.A.
(331872)

??RK FRIT Z.
HRS
TR. E. 4.CAV.
U.S.A.
(331872)

JOSEPH. TOSCANO.
TRP. D. 4. CAV.
U.S.A.
(332302)

JOSEPH. TOSCANO.
PVT
TRP. D 4. CAV.
U.S.A.
(332302)

BOWMAN. MILOW. D
PVT
4
[CROSS SABORS]
?
U.S.A.

BOWMAN. MILOW
PVT
4
[CROSS SABORS]
? [LOOKS Z OVER Z]
U.S.A.
(332362)

GILLMAN.R. CARLE.
PVT.
4TH . CAV.
TROOP. G.
U.S.A.
(332333)



GILLMAN. R. CARLE
BGL
TROOP ‘G’
4TH. CAV.
U.S.A.
(GILMAN)
(332333)

DYCHE ALBERT.
CPL.
TR. L. CAV
U.S.A.
(40)

DYCHE ALBERT
CPL.
TR.E.4.CAV
U.S.A.

WILIIAM O REVIS
332003
PVT.
TROOP H 4TH. CAV
U.S.A.

WILLIAM O REVIS
332003
PVT
TP H 4 CAV
USA

JOHN C. KALLIN
PVT.
TR. E. 4. CAV.
U.S.A.
(331860)

CHARLES F. VARRIER
PVT
TR H 4 CAV
USA
33201?

SAMUAL J WAKENS
338957
CORP
SERGT
TROOP ??
U.S.A.

???IK E KLINZAK
TROOP G
?TH. CAV.
U.S.A.
(332359)



AL?ONSO J. CROSS
TRO?? CAV.

HOUCK GEORGE W
PVT.
TR. E. 4. CAV.
U.S.A.
(331865)

HANS L MADSEN
PVT
TR H 4 CAV
USA
(3?????)

GAR?ND F LYDA?
TR H 4 CAV
USA
(331985)

ITHEL M KING
PVT
TR H CAV
USA
(33I980)
GREEN GEORGE B.
CPL.
TP. E. 4 CAV.
U.S.A.
(331855)

OBERG. EPH???M. W.
U.S.A.
(332.433.)

CARL W. ROHRBECK
PVT
TR H 4 CAV
USA
(332005)

RICHARD A. CATES
PRIVATE
TROOP L 4TH
CAVALRY
U.S.A.
(332264)

ALEXISKR IVCHUCK
PVT.
TROOP G
4TH. CAV.
U.S.A.

EDWARD KINNEY
PVT.
TROOP G
4 TH. CAV.
U.S.A.
(332356)

.PVT. JOHN. THARP
TROOP M
4TH OAV

JOHN LONE
CPL
TP H 4 CAV
USA
(331893)

SILVERIO MAR?IN
TR B 4 CAV
USA
(331990)

RAMOND FRED B.
U.S.A.
(332437)

J? J. DE????N
USA
(331967)

CLARENCE. J. HADLEY
USA.
(645733)

ARTHUR. J. OCON?? [MELTED]
PVT
D??1???
(101780)

FINCKLE. ALBERT L.
U.S.A.
(331845)

ROBERT GORDON
PVT.
I [HOLE] 8
INF.
(900876)

CLIFORD F WAGNER
MTC
(R421259)

HENRY H HENDRICKSON
PVT
CO P. 3D ENG
USA
(331175)


MARTIN J. ?LOOD
LIEUT
5TH F, L?. ART
U.S.A.

ANDERSON HERBERT
U.S.A.
(331834)

HERBERTO. BLEVINS
USA
41256{5 or ?]

OBERG ?PHR??
(332.4 [3 or 8, 3 or 8] )

SMAHA, ROBERT
PVT
4
[CROSS SABORS]
D
U.S.A.
(332.???)

FOUND A BLANK ONE

DON MATHESO
US
(331991)

?GUST SHEPANSKI
PVT
USA
(521672)

JEWEL C. LIEB
[FOUND AT FORT RINGOLD]

STONE M. E. L.
SGT
TROOP 4
4. CAV

EMRIC HARRISON
USA

ALBERT L.
USA
(381845)

PVT CROVELL
TR F
4TH CAV
R4170261



MECH’JOSW.FICEK
CO.D
(PRVT)
COD2ND D???)
INFENTRY

TIMOTHY P. KELLEHER
PVT
TROOP H 4 CAV
USA
(331977)

JR WOITYLA
4037528

GEORGE.C TIMM.
PVT.
TROOP.G.
18.TH.CAV.
(1011476)

Meted tag with:
B???
TROOP H
4TH CAV
USA
 
Why would so many dogtags be lost by those who were supposed to wear them? Could it be that there were errors on these tags and therefore they were discarded, and you happened to find them scattered about? Just trying to understand.
 
I have had the same thoughts. I believe from what I have found at the site that it was a dump site used by the military and no one else. I have found buttons, 1880s and Great seal buttons 1905 and up, pocket watches, metals, bottles, 1903-A3 30-06 rounds, stripper clips, 1911 45 rounds, first aid kits (brass cans dated 1918), tent items, horseshoes and muleshoes, spoons and forks, some coins (but not many 1918 back to 1880’s) tokens and the list go on. If the solder discarded his uniform due to damage and did not check the pockets what he had was in the dump on hold till I showed up. I have milked the site till the readings are all but gone. I have also sifted the soil for hours to find the small stuff. What I need to do now is to go out and turn the soil over with a plow to get better readings. I know that I may damage some items but believe that this would be the best way to get more readings. I always knew the site was in the area but did not find the exact location till area was hit by a root plow. I could tell that a lot of bottles were broken or burnt after the root plow and clearing operations were completed. The owner cleared the land and piled up brush and burnt the piles. I meet him and asked if I could MD the area and he was OK with it but requested I split the gold with him. No gold so far with the exception of one gold plated ring. I did give him some horseshoes and he was thrilled. The hole site is about one acre.

I guess we never really get it all.

Later

SW
 
Wow, that sounds like a great site -- from coins to bottles to relics and a ring. You're doing a great service by posting the names of the tags here. I hope you will continue to keep us posted on Mr. Tharp. And continued happy hunting to you.
 
Great site and great work. I hope you can track down some of these soldiers relatives. When I have time i'll see what I can come up with. Maybe you should post something in "everything else" calling on "all genealogists" on this site for help. Your on what I would consider a dream site even if it is a "dump". Lucky you. :) Keep digging.
 
Fantastic Finds!!! This type of metal detecting is one reason why I got my metal detector.

Best of Luck!!!

Beerbarrel
 
Wow!!!! Great finds!!!!!
 
I have been contacted by the great grandson of one of the tags you posted....
Christy,
I am interested in a Thomas Tedford that shows in the 1910 Census to be at Ft. Sam Houston (San Antonio, TX). There is a chance this Thomas is my Great-Grandfather. Evidently he was born in Ireland. Have you found out any info from your 6/01/06 query as follows:
THOMAS TEDFORD
4” CAV.
U.S.A.
REG.SUP.SGT.
331652
Thanks
Jim Tedford


I gave Jim the site link to this post so that he can contact you
 
GREAT STUFF , YA JUST GOT TO LOVE THE HISTORY IN THAT , THANX FOR SHARING :read2: :thumbsup:
 
good job on the research!!
wtg
 
To all:

I am most exited to return the tags over to you Jim. Were do you live? I live in Mc Allen, Texas.

I only ask that you provide me with some type of connection of the solder too your family. I have the up most respect to the solders who have served our nation (past and present) and I must now I did the right thing.

(I am interested in a Thomas Tedford that shows in the 1910 Census to be at Ft. Sam Houston (San Antonio, TX). There is a chance this Thomas is my Great-Grandfather. Evidently he was born in Ireland. Have you found out any info from your 6/01/06 query as follows:

THOMAS TEDFORD
4” CAV.
U.S.A.
REG.SUP.SGT.
331652
Thanks
Jim Tedford)


SPWalker
Mc Allen, Texas
 
:icon_thumright: simply awsome all the way around :icon_thumleft:
 
TreasureTales said:
Why would so many dogtags be lost by those who were supposed to wear them? Could it be that there were errors on these tags and therefore they were discarded, and you happened to find them scattered about? Just trying to understand.

i received my uncles military items and there were about five sets of dog tags. of course he was in for total 35 years, yes 35 active and reserves! one or two had chains. the patina varied. anyway this is such a good post. nice to hear the respect for the armed forces.

my guess there were multiple issuance of dog tags during ones service. and maybe mass disposal when the new ones were handed out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom