What's new

Roman Coin - need assistance identifying emperor and time frame

ivan salis

Platinum Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
16,836
Reaction score
3,816
Golden Thread
0
Location
callahan,fl
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Coin type is that of an AS and Roman. That is all we know at this time. The firgure on the back is a female standing with her right arm up and the left arm stretched to the side. Says "Caesar" at the top above the head.
 

Attachments

  • Roman Emp Coin Front001.webp
    Roman Emp Coin Front001.webp
    38 KB · Views: 415
  • Roman Emp Coin back002.webp
    Roman Emp Coin back002.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 410
this one says
"CAESAR" AND IS LEFT FACING -- thinking earlier time frame than the right facing ones above
 
Upvote 0
maybe one of the folks in the U.K. , maybe crusader? could help.
 
Upvote 0
:hello:

It looks like a coin of the Emperor Nero possibly a Dupondius, I will try for a picture match.

SS
 
Upvote 0
i was thinking due to left facing bust -- might be nereo or possible "agrippa and augustus " type coin
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

It looks like a coin of the Emperor Nero possibly a Dupondius, I will try for a picture match.

SS
Can you see a SC in the reverse :dontknow: I can't quite make out the reverse from your picture :-\

SS
 
Upvote 0
on the rear can make out a figure -- left hand streched left -- right hand upward
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
on the rear can make out a figure -- left hand streched left -- right hand upward
Might be Victory advancing :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
possible --best way to get the green off with out damage?
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
possible --best way to get the green off with out damage?
Leave it...the green is the patina, wrap it it in tissue with Olive oil, it should bring some more detail out :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0
will try that --olive oil soak
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
will try that --olive oil soak
Not soak....allow the olive oil to be soaked up by the tissue, just cover the coin and wrap :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

It looks like a coin of the Emperor Nero possibly a Dupondius, I will try for a picture match.

SS

Could be spot on, if not its a similar timeframe :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

It looks like a coin of the Emperor Nero possibly a Dupondius, I will try for a picture match.

SS

Could be spot on, if not its a similar timeframe :icon_thumright:
Thought you might have that volume :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

It looks like a coin of the Emperor Nero possibly a Dupondius, I will try for a picture match.

SS

Could be spot on, if not its a similar timeframe :icon_thumright:
Thought you might have that volume :dontknow:

SS
I have got all the Vols now (except 1 that is hard to find), & they were all given to Dad as an Xmas prezzie. Anyway, we need more letters to be sure. However, I think you are spot on with Nero.

Although, he is facing the other way in the one below, the reverse type might be to same - GENIO AVGVSTI
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/nero/RIC_0464.jpg
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

It looks like a coin of the Emperor Nero possibly a Dupondius, I will try for a picture match.

SS

Could be spot on, if not its a similar timeframe :icon_thumright:
Thought you might have that volume :dontknow:

SS
I have got all the Vols now (except 1 that is hard to find), & they were all given to Dad as an Xmas prezzie. Anyway, we need more letters to be sure. However, I think you are spot on with Nero.

Although, he is facing the other way in the one below, the reverse type might be to same - GENIO AVGVSTI
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/nero/RIC_0464.jpg
:dontknow: Ivan said the reverse has figure with right arm up :dontknow: couldn't open your link, but looked at the one on the site.

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

It looks like a coin of the Emperor Nero possibly a Dupondius, I will try for a picture match.

SS

Could be spot on, if not its a similar timeframe :icon_thumright:
Thought you might have that volume :dontknow:

SS
I have got all the Vols now (except 1 that is hard to find), & they were all given to Dad as an Xmas prezzie. Anyway, we need more letters to be sure. However, I think you are spot on with Nero.

Although, he is facing the other way in the one below, the reverse type might be to same - GENIO AVGVSTI
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/nero/RIC_0464.jpg
:dontknow: Ivan said the reverse has figure with right arm up :dontknow: couldn't open your link, but looked at the one on the site.

SS

Might be either because he has pictured it up-side down. Or if looking at it correctly then the cornucopia looks like a raised hand :dontknow: I'm not 100% & it would be hard to get with no reverse letter at all (pretty much best guess). The fact you got Nero, he should be happy :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
:read2:

Played with the picture a bit Cru, looks more like a seated figure, Roma or something on those lines...similar to this one on wildwinds Ric 517 :thumbsup:

SS
 

Attachments

  • Roman Emp Coin back002.webp
    Roman Emp Coin back002.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 318
  • RIC_0517.webp
    RIC_0517.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:read2:

Played with the picture a bit Cru, looks more like a seated figure, Roma or something on those lines...similar to this one on wildwinds Ric 517 :thumbsup:

SS

looks like your close, I think your right it is seated. There are a few seated types I believe.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom