What's new

Roman Coin or What?

dustcap

Full Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2003
Messages
137
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While boxing up personal belongings of my deceased grandmother we came accross this object that looks like an ancient coin. Grandma never said anything about the object and no one seems to know anything about it. Incidently, she was born in August of 1890 (Jacob Waltz died in October of that year) and she died in 2001. She was fond of religious things and the "coin" may have some religious attachment although I believe it to be of Roman origin only because of the partial markings that resemble a wagon wheel on one side.

I have shown two pictures of the one side because it looks different with light coming from different angles.

Any body have any ideas on this one?

IMG_0645cr coin ob2 L15C10.webp 77.6 KB (79,541 bytes)
IMG_0647 coin face 4 L25C20.webp 90.1 KB (92,283 bytes)
IMG_0649cr coin face 5 L15C10.webp 80.8 KB (82,826 bytes)

I am not having any luck posting the pictures... can anyone walk me through the process? When I pull the post back to edit the file names of the pics are there but they do not materialize on the post...????
 
Ancient Jewish, I believe. Looks similar to a widows mite :-\
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Ancient Jewish, I believe. Looks similar to a widows mite :-\

It will push someone in the right direction I think
 
Upvote 0
Crusader:
Right on--as usual. A truly historic coin, the "Widow's Mite; a bronze prutah of Jewish High Priest Alexander Jannaeus, showing anchor and star with Greek and Hebrew legends, BC 103-76--or close to it.

Here's the Bible story:
"And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.

And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: for all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.
Mark xii, 13-17
Don.....
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
Thanks mack for quenching my history thirst for the evening! Awesome
CRUSADER said:
Ancient Jewish, I believe. Looks similar to a widows mite :-\
Mackaydon said:
Crusader:
Right on--as usual. A truly historic coin, the "Widow's Mite; a bronze prutah of Jewish High Priest Alexander Jannaeus, showing anchor and star with Greek and Hebrew legends, BC 103-76--or close to it.

Here's the Bible story:
"And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.

And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: for all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.
Mark xii, 13-17
Don.....

Thanks guys, I had no clue...
I asked around and found out there is a Jewish museum near my home and plan on making a pilgramage there in the next few days... I will post my findings from there asap.

I didn't know the pictures posted until I got home and pulled the site up on my computer... i thought I had reduced the size by cropping but WOW... that new Cannon Rebel T1I at 15 mega pixel resolution makes huge pictures.


Thanks also to moderator Marc Austin for his PM help in getting these pictures posted.

-Dustcap
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom