Roman Constantine I coin Found on ebay (uncleaned coins)

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Hi All,

Purchased 10 uncleaned roman coins on ebay for $19.00 plus 5.00 shipping. Only a couple of them were readable. Here is the best one. If there are any ancient coin buffs out there I would really like to know how rare or valuable this is. The coin is the size of a dime.

Found some info on the internet but no indication of value or rarity.

The info is:

Constantine I "the Great"
as Augustus AD 307 - 337
AE AE 3 - Half Centenionalis

Obverse: IMP CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG - Helmeted laureate bust right, cuirassed.
Reverse: VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP - Two Victories facing and inscribing VOT PR on shield placed on altar.
Mint marks:
exergue - PT
Ticinum mint: AD 318

References: CoinsCatalog.com ID 3071

Thanks in advance!
SoupBone

Attachments

• Constantine I.JPG
    Constantine I.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,122
  • Constantine I victories.JPG
    Constantine I victories.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 980
Upvote 0
Nice coin SoupBone. I used to be 100% addicted to cleaning ancient coins. In fact, I still get the urge now and then.

My trouble is I was spoiled. I did it years ago when one could get the big fat bronze coins still steaming from the ground for as little as 40 cents each. Many of my coins were the size of a US half dollar. Some were bigger than a silver dollar.

I sold all my finds to coin dealers and collectors thoughout Europe and the USA. My personal favorites were the large Nero coins.

You tempt me to do it again but I would need a very good supplier. Back when I did it I averaged 80% good detailed coins with every batch. All ancient coins coming into the US today have been sorted and checked probably at least 10 times before they reach the USA. or the ebay buyer. The diggers check them before they sell them. Today most are even partly cleaned so as to check for valuable coins. A smart exporter only needs to see a tiny bit of a coin to be 98% sure of what it is. But, they sometimes miss a very good one.

I found a few that after the encrustation was removed still had some original coin lustre left. I found many nearly 100% silvered coins and many solid silvers.

A decent common coin would end up costing me maybe 60 cents and I'd sell these in bulk to dealers for about $1 to $1.50 each. They in turn would retail them for about $8 to $30 each. I might get $50 for a real hot coin and the dealer would ask maybe $350 to $1200 for that same coin.

Enjoy the hunt!

Badger

Do you happen to remember the supplier. Would'nt mind getting my paws on some bigger coinage. This is a lot of fun though. Me and the kids are having a blast. My son brought one with him today to show and tell at School. Sounds like a huge markup from the dealer after you did all the work cleaning them though.

Soupbone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back