Roman Metal Working Site - Cru'Team - Day 20 - 3 Hammered + CELTIC GOLD...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very mild weather but the strong winds & gusts on the exposed hill top nearly took us off our feet.
We are now gridding in virgin country but still crossing an Iron Age crop-mark. I find it odd how little pottery we find, I pictured a piece I got today but it's only the 2nd piece I have seen.
Well, on our Day 19 post coinstar magnet stated ''Cru'dad is due for a find!'' & Cru'dad delivered! He found all 3 hammered & the Gold Plated Stater! My best finds were the Brooch & Pin. The scrappies have pretty much dried out.
5 Hours:

1 Scrappy
1st C AD Langton Down Fibula (Brooch)
Medieval Hawking Swivel
Roman Hair Pin - Nicest I have had in awhile
2 Qrter Hammered of Henry III
Sterling Imitation of Ed I Penny
Contemporary Forgery of a South Ferriby Stater circa 45BC-10BC. (although it's heavy Gold Plated we still count this as a Celtic Gold) What is amazing is that under the horse it has a 4 Pointed Star when most are 6. This is what the 2010 ABC Book states ''The basic South Ferriby types hides considerable variation, particularly in the form of the anchor motif and the star beneath the horse. Examples with a four-pointed star are excessively rare''
Here is the only recent one I can find that sold, stating there was only 21 examples known:
So Cru'dad has found a contemporary forgery of an excessively rare coin, which is a little mid blowing, as this must be even rarer!:headbang:
This one we will give to the landowners collection.

After Monday's hunt we will move to Fan's Roman Site.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

Upvote 27

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on the nice hunt and cool Finds! 👍

TommNJ

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome man! Coin-grats to you and Dad!

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow that is an incredible find and a great gesture presenting it to the land owner. :occasion14:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very mild weather but the strong winds & gusts on the exposed hill top nearly took us off our feet.
We are now gridding in virgin country but still crossing an Iron Age crop-mark. I find it odd how little pottery we find, I pictured a piece I got today but it's only the 2nd piece I have seen.
Well, on our Day 19 post coinstar magnet stated ''Cru'dad is due for a find!'' & Cru'dad delivered! He found all 3 hammered & the Gold Plated Stater! My best finds were the Brooch & Pin. The scrappies have pretty much dried out.
5 Hours:

1 Scrappy
Medieval Hawking Swivel
Contemporary Forgery of a South Ferriby Stater circa 45BC-10BC. (although it's heavy Gold Plated we still count this as a Celtic Gold) What is amazing is that under the horse it has a 4 Pointed Star when most are 6. This is what the 2010 ABC Book states ''The basic South Ferriby types hides considerable variation, particularly in the form of the anchor motif and the star beneath the horse. Examples with a four-pointed star are excessively rare''
Here is the only recent one I can find that sold, stating there was only 21 examples known:
So Cru'dad has found a contemporary forgery of an excessively rare coin, which is a little mid blowing, as this must be even rarer!:headbang:

View attachment 2006551 View attachment 2006552 View attachment 2006553 View attachment 2006554 View attachment 2006555 View attachment 2006556

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plenty of terrific finds still popping up! Mild but windy you say- how about 2 feet of snow and 70 mph wind gusts today- trade??

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'
Great finds, that seems to be how things work with Cru'dad doesn't it?
I'm wondering when you both will recover a hoard... that's been on my mind lately :)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of terrific finds still popping up! Mild but windy you say- how about 2 feet of snow and 70 mph wind gusts today- trade??
Not sure what snow is anymore, those days seem long gone.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'
Great finds, that seems to be how things work with Cru'dad doesn't it?
I'm wondering when you both will recover a hoard... that's been on my mind lately :)
Yeah, he seems to save them up.
We are not going to give up trying to get a hoard, but it's not very likely.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 Hours:

1 Scrappy
Medieval Hawking Swivel

View attachment 2006551 View attachment 2006552 View attachment 2006553 View attachment 2006554 View attachment 2006555 View attachment 2006556
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, he seems to save them up.
We are not going to give up trying to get a hoard, but it's not very likely.
You are certainly consistent in your approach....after finding a hoard, I imagine there would be an euphoric rush, but I wonder what detecting would feel like after that....I imagine you and Cru'dad would just continue to stick with your routine and humbly soldier on.... It would be hard to imagine you not finding a hoard at some point though for the time put in....perhaps landmagnet will provide the right area...

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW a lot of nice finds . Days lke that sure make it worth while to detect !!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 Hours:

1 Scrappy
Medieval Hawking Swivel

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, what is the rockish looking object, second picture down?...I found something similar on the beach awhile back

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly missed this one! Gold came early this year! Enough time left to get one more.... Congrats to Cru Dad on this ultra rare one!
That mortar shard is pretty cool. Today in the field i was thinking that it's been some time that i found one....

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats to Cru'dad on the great day of recoveries.
Silver, now a gold forgery, now there's chat about moving on-because there's no more scrappy's?
Looks like somebody was on their game.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver, now a gold forgery, now there's chat about moving on-because there's no more scrappy's?
NOT because there are no more Scrappies but because it's part of my Strategy.
Covering this huge area of no-mans land was only thinkable because we had 'spare time'. It was high risk compared to most choices after harvest but it was cutting over a 'possible' Iron Age Crop-mark (where previously we scouted nothing, but now we learnt that these 2 recent coins were not within the cropmark, but some distance outside) & it was between 2 larger Iron Age Settlements. One of which we mapped last year when the oil-seed rape failed & I got:
https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...-2-celtic-gold-even-more-fibulatastic.655038/
We don't know when they will be drilling the Spring Crop & I estimate that we need 8 days to grid the whole of the nearby Fan's Roman Site (settlement/living quarters annexed to the Roman Metal Working area) before this happens. That is the next priority, then we can rethink & return, if we don't want to strike out into other high risk choices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread