What's new

Roman Nummeral Marked Silver...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...not sure exactly what it is but it is silver and it is marked with three roman numerals on the inside. IV II VI in that order.

Sorry for the less than ideal pics but they were taken inside in poor lighting.
 

Attachments

  • photo 2.webp
    photo 2.webp
    83.7 KB · Views: 143
  • photo 3.webp
    photo 3.webp
    95.4 KB · Views: 137
  • photo 1.webp
    photo 1.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 8
Uggh...spelled "numeral" wrong in the title...I miss the days of being able to edit that!
 
Pocket watch bezel? Cool find man!
 
Pocket watch bezel? Cool find man!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now as well. When I first dug it I had thoughts of Trade Silver in my head. It came from a site where Trade Silver would not be unexpected and its one of the last targets on my bucket list...
 
It is a pocket watch bezel.
 
Google ,, pocket watch case serial numbers,, it will explain the use of roman numerals on the bezel
Nice find
 
Yep typically with pocket watches and serial number locations you would have the same serial number (in one form or another) on each piece of the watch like body of the case, inside workings plate and bezel ring. Because it was often difficult to stamp the bezel directly, many times the last few digits of the serial number that was marked in regular (arabic) numbers elsewhere would have roman numerals on the bezel. In your case if we could see the other serial numbers I bet the last three digits of the number would have been 4 2 6
 
Good info...guess I should go look for the rest of the watch...
 
Very Nice!!

How cool would that be if you could find more of the watch.
 
I almost tossed it thinking that it was can slaw..but it felt just a little too heavy to be aluminum...
 
Nice watch bezel! Congrats!

I make worse mistakes than that, then with auto corrects "help" I'm doomed! :laughing7:
I put "congrats" auto correct puts "ingrates" :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom