✅ SOLVED Roman or older brooch fragment?

TannersHatch

Jan 18, 2021
Brighton, UK
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello

Could I get some advise? Does anyone have any ideas on this item? I think it may be a fragment of an annular brooch? The spirals could be waves and the half visible symbol at the end a boat I thought? I also found what I reckon might be the remains of the pin for it. Any insight would be much appreciated.

following the curve it would create a circle of 50mm internal diameter. the fragment is 2.5cm (25mm)

20210208_104036.jpg 20210208_104048.jpg 20210208_162950.jpg

SOLVED - A bit of 1900's toy flint lock gun. Prop's to CRUSADER

Last edited:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There isn't much to go on. And you don't give us any indication of size short saying you think it's part of a brooch.

The metal looks like pewter. Nothing about it says "Roman or older" to my eye. That said, I'm an American, as are 95% of the contributors on this forum. So if it's more than 250 years old, what could we possibly know about it. :laughing7:

Perhaps one of the Brits will chime in with an opinion. In the mean time, please post a picture of your relic next to a common object of similar size.

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does have that Saxon look to the swirl.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TannersHatch

TannersHatch

Jan 18, 2021
Brighton, UK
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There isn't much to go on. And you don't give us any indication of size short saying you think it's part of a brooch.

The metal looks like pewter. Nothing about it says "Roman or older" to my eye. That said, I'm an American, as are 95% of the contributors on this forum. So if it's more than 250 years old, what could we possibly know about it. :laughing7:

Perhaps one of the Brits will chime in with an opinion. In the mean time, please post a picture of your relic next to a common object of similar size.

quite right. Apologies. here's a picture showing its size (2.5cm). I followed the curve and it created a circle of 50mm internal diameter. I don't know it to be old particularly but as pepperj says it looks a bit saxon to my untrained eye.
View attachment 1900785

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx for the additional info. CRUSADER will likely know in an instant when he sees it.

BTW - Your new picture attachment doesn't work for me. I get an error.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx for the additional info. CRUSADER will likely know in an instant when he sees it.

BTW - Your new picture attachment doesn't work for me. I get an error.
Sorry can't ID it but I know its not that old being made of a pewter or pot metal material.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry can't ID it but I know its not that old being made of a pewter or pot metal material.

I didn't mean to imply you could ID the piece "in an instant". Only that you could likely determine "Roman or older" or not in an instant - which you did...

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't mean to imply you could ID the piece "in an instant". Only that you could likely determine "Roman or older" or not in an instant - which you did...
I now know what it is.
Its the handle to one of those early 1900s toy guns. Like the small pewter flint lock version recently posted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TannersHatch

TannersHatch

Jan 18, 2021
Brighton, UK
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worries I edited and posted at the start of the thread and stuck the image there. And yeah I'm sure he probably will if there's enough of it for an ID. (Hi CRUSADER - thanks for all the help you provide us :notworthy:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TannersHatch

TannersHatch

Jan 18, 2021
Brighton, UK
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I now know what it is.
Its the handle to one of those early 1900s toy guns. Like the small pewter flint lock version recently posted.

Well done CRU' don't know how you do it.
So my saxon artefact is a bit of toy gun. Haha. Typical. Bl**dy typical.

CRUSADER, thank you once again, you have saved me some embarrassment there. I'll take it out of the cotton wool then :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread