Roman road and a Roman find.

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
I've been carefully studying the maps recently as I was given a permission on which a 1700 year old Roman road passes through. It's very difficult to find the exact allignment, inbthe ground there really are no tell tale signs of an agger or a slump. And so i pinpointed the line I'd take and kept on it.
And this particular strategy (of not going off on tangents Hoping the grass is greener elsewhere) paid dividends within about 30 minutes as up came this Roman brooch. I basically floated around for a couple of hours after that on a high having to keep peaking in the bag to take another look. Not much came up after that to be fair but I really didnt care. Mission accomplished with a relic i can now tick off the bucket list.
I did find a crusty coin that by its thickness and feel I suspect is Roman too but it's going to need some careful cleaning to see if any legend remains.
Another great day out doing this amazing hobby of ours.

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Upvote 34

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Fibula, looks like a Polden Hill Variant I haven't seen. For sure its a 1st C AD type.:occasion14: (no exact match in my book)
Yeap, the other looks like what I call a Scrappy (others call Grots).

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Interesting Fibula, looks like a Polden Hill Variant I haven't seen. For sure its a 1st C AD type.:occasion14: (no exact match in my book)
Yeap, the other looks like what I call a Scrappy (others call Grots).
Thanks and I Concur with your ID, a Polden hill type.
I hope at least something can be made out from the coin. It's in ketchup right now, any advise on how best to clean it much appreciated.
I know I should know but copper coins aren't something I usually bother to try and clean up.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been carefully studying the maps recently as I was given a permission on which a 1700 year old Roman road passes through. It's very difficult to find the exact allignment, inbthe ground there really are no tell tale signs of an agger or a slump. And so i pinpointed the line I'd take and kept on it.
And this particular strategy (of not going off on tangents Hoping the grass is greener elsewhere) paid dividends within about 30 minutes as up came this Roman brooch. I basically floated around for a couple of hours after that on a high having to keep peaking in the bag to take another look. Not much came up after that to be fair but I really didnt care. Mission accomplished with a relic i can now tick off the bucket list.
I did find a crusty coin that by its thickness and feel I suspect is Roman too but it's going to need some careful cleaning to see if any legend remains.
Another great day out doing this amazing hobby of ours.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks and I Concur with your ID, a Polden hill type.
I hope at least something can be made out from the coin. It's in ketchup right now, any advise on how best to clean it much appreciated.
I know I should know but copper coins aren't something I usually bother to try and clean up.
Honestly, there is nothing you can do to improve a coin like that. (Cleaning wise)

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Honestly, there is nothing you can do to improve a coin like that. (Cleaning wise)
Yes and having given it a brush and clean im concurring again. It's toasted.
Gonna give the brooch a zapping though tomorrow looking forward to jowit comes up once all that crud is gone.
Some better pictures. I know what you mean with your ID, it looks very much like the Polden's but not entirely.

Attachments

• RomanBrooch3.jpg
    RomanBrooch3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 15
  • RomanBrooch2.jpg
    RomanBrooch2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Back again for a couple of hours yesterday evening after work. (Staying light now till 9pm)
Not exactly the best but at least more evidence im searching in the right area, a really badly aged Sestersius or maybe Dupondius. Definitely Roman though.
(The Roman road runs right across that field in the picture)

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Dupondius2.jpg
    Dupondius2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Dupondius.jpg
    Dupondius.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread