Romano-British villa site discovery.

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tnet'ers here is a goggle earth capture of a site I have discovered. One part of the site was previously known about, the square shaped shadow in the upper half of the full site image was investigated in the 1960s and appears on old aerial photographs. The archaeologists listed it as a Roman blacksmiths/foundry. Now here is the good part the shadows in the lower half of the picture resemble known Roman villa sites in this area of the UK, I have checked old aerial photographs and earlier Google Earth images and the villa site has never shown up so as to be visible in the past. I have detected in the surrounding area for many years finding many Roman & Celtic items but have never been close to this spot in the past but after a lot of research I have been given the land owners telephone number through a mutual acquaintance. Fingers crossed for a positive result when I call the landowner, tomorrow.

George. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limey-digger

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another more detailed image of the villa crop marks that I managed to screen grab from a Bing Maps birds eye view.
George

Attachments

• crop marks.png
    crop marks.png
    518.9 KB · Views: 243
OP
OP
Limey-digger

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have managed to secure permission to detect on this land and after speaking to the landowner I have found out that he also owns this piece of land with a similar crop mark to the previously excavated Blacksmith/foundry site. 300 acres of prime hunting land now available to me in 2 weeks time:icon_thumleft:
George.

Attachments

• site crop mark.jpg
    site crop mark.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 247

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.... 300 acres should keep you busy for a lifetime. Hope you find a minty Aureus. Fascinating stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread