Rookie Detectorist and the reality of digging.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Some other things I discovered as a rookie:

The Lesche digging tool is fantastic!!! As I keep digging, my holes are getting cleaner. That tool really cuts the ground and will also cut your target..LOL. I cut a penny in half.

I didn't realize how physical metal detecting is. Looking down and swinging a detector for about 30 min you really start to feel it in the lower neck and back. I detected a park the other day and I had constant coin hits every 2 feet. Getting up and down digging targets works the thighs and hips. The next day, I haven't been sore like that since Police Academy and Military PT. I really feel for someone that has lower back problems.

When I was looking at buying a metal detector, I wanted to get one that would detect really deep. The Ace 350 does better than I expected on deepness, however 9 or 10 inches seems a lot deeper when you start digging (Especially in a park with people around staring at you...LOL). I still like the deep hits, esp in historical rural areas. However in parks I tend to now go for the 4 to 6 inches. Some dude actually thought I was a utility guy looking for pipes or something.

I play golf and a lot of new people tend to put so much on the long game (driving and irons) but those who play golf know the real challenge is the short game and putting. I found out that the challenge in metal detecting is the recovery. I am actually digging just about everything right now for practice and I noticed that my holes are becoming smaller and recovery quicker. I didn't realize the challenge of recovery before I started, esp in trashy areas. Even though I have a Garrett Pro pointer it still takes practice. I can see those who start the hobby may become frustrated with this. I believe Mr Garrett said that you should hunt all metals and dig everything for the first 100 hours using the machine.

Im having a blast. Each hunt I love it more and more. My planned vacations are actually going to revolve around metal detecting. I have friends that have taken interest and members of my family. Happy digging all!!!

At least you're in a freeze free zone...not like us Yankees. :laughing7: Year round diggin for ya.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby!
Sounds like you're having fun, that's awesome!
Just about all of us have "found ourselves" while detecting! Lol!
Your in good company there!

You keep detecting and digging and any day now that "OMG!"
moment when you pull out your first awesome find will happen. Followed by many more.
Learn well what your detector Is telling you, that's one of secrets of success.

I hear you on the kneeling, I can't do that, so i'm practically doing toe touches now, I'm thinking about putting longer handles on my probe & digging tool! There are ways around this, just have to get inventive!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the hobby!
Sounds like you're having fun, that's awesome!
Just about all of us have "found ourselves" while detecting! Lol!
Your in good company there!

You keep detecting and digging and any day now that "OMG!"
moment when you pull out your first awesome find will happen. Followed by many more.
Learn well what your detector Is telling you, that's one of secrets of success.

I hear you on the kneeling, I can't do that, so i'm practically doing toe touches now, I'm thinking about putting longer handles on my probe & digging tool! There are ways around this, just have to get inventive!

FYI MISS BEEPBEEP: When I win the next Lotto (again) I'm hiring YOU your own personal digger guy!!!!

Welcome to hobby guy... and best wishes!!!!!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bless you Brad, you are a true friend, always thinking of others
Do they have 2 legs or 4 paws? Either one will do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread