What's new

Treasure hunting career?

rdawg14

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2012
Messages
76
Reaction score
48
Golden Thread
0
Location
NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone!

Just wondering if anyone on here has turned treasure hunting into a career? Whether it be searching for lost treasure, panning, detecting, dredging, gemstones, gold etc. Its just a hobby for me but it would be something else to turn it into a business.
 
For me its more than a hobby, Its a lifestyle! 8-)
 
If it were a business it would cease to be fun. Instead of hunting when I like, it would become hunting 7 days a week, 12 hours a day regardless of weather. that is assuming you have enough spots to handle that much hunting. A string of popular beaches could fill that role, but few else. Even mining claims would eventually be worked out.

No thank you, I love it as a hobby, but not a job.
 
I agree it might not be as fun anymore but I know I would rather do that all week than build houses or sit in an office. I don't think it will ever be more than a hobby for me either but just looking for thoughts.
 
Keep it as a Hobby. Less disappointment that way. Stay employed and use what ever you find as a second income. I have a little over 2K invested and I have found about 60 Bucks all summer. And my wife just smiles at me!
Toolman Butch
 
When you make something you love, work..... it becomes work, and usually not something you love, anymore.
I'm happy with it as a hobby. Have cool things, something to do, make a little here and there..... :notworthy:
If anyone would like to put me on retainer, though....... :hello: Will hunt for insurance claims..... :gold-bracelet: :diamond-ring: ;D
pm me for address, to forward funds. :laughing7:
 
Well there is another side to this question, that being "how to".
It only works after you retire. That retirement income covers the gaps in the finds.
As far as still being fun, it is ! You have to enjoy the challenge of the research work and the boots on ground part too.
Your not out there constantly also, probably several times a year.
I am working on a cache right now that is worth $20+ My research is almost complete. When it warms up to 50+ in that area, I will drive my motor home up there for the boots on ground part. I figure about a week of detecting.
The thing is there is no one pushing you. You work as you like. Just my thoughts, Frank

Untitled-1.webpI am working on this one now.
 
Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog. I love it. LMAO
When you make something you love, work..... it becomes work, and usually not something you love, anymore.
I'm happy with it as a hobby. Have cool things, something to do, make a little here and there..... :notworthy:
If anyone would like to put me on retainer, though....... :hello: Will hunt for insurance claims..... :gold-bracelet: :diamond-ring: ;D
pm me for address, to forward funds. :laughing7:
 
Well there is another side to this question, that being "how to".
It only works after you retire. That retirement income covers the gaps in the finds.
As far as still being fun, it is !

Yes, but then it's no longer a "job", it's just a full time hobby. You already have the retirement to pay your living expenses. Treasure hunting is then just an extra income.
 
Yes, but then it's no longer a "job", it's just a full time hobby. You already have the retirement to pay your living expenses. Treasure hunting is then just an extra income.

A job is when you receive money to preform certain functions. Yes, it is a job and you are your own boss and it is extra income. The extra income could well exceed the regular income. I agree, it is all in how you look at it, but technically, it is a job. Frank
 
yes, but I believe that definition is outside the question posed by the OP. The way I read it, they are asking about treasure hunting (of any type) as your full time, "this is paying the bills" type of "job".
 
There's a fellow in Australia a few years back that tried if for a month and kept a day to day blog showing his results.

He was doing mostly beach hunting and returned some finds for rewards as well.....at the end of the month he was in the red insofar as meeting his living expenses.

Just stick with it as a hobby and whatever you find be it clad, jewelry, relics, etc....is gravy at best over the years I've probably broken even insofar as machines, accessories, batteries.....so it ends up being a free hobby at the end of the day.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Treasure hunting, in the true sense, as a profession has little to do with metal detecting. It's just a tool among many that are used in the process of finding what your looking for.
 
For me & many others, its an obsession & great hobby, but I never did quit my day job. This is something I do on weekends, & probably enjoy much more that way. Its easier to have fun when you don't have to rely on it as a paycheck.
 
To do that requires certain skills and disciplines, and if done right, not many other than the treasure finder would know.

There may well be T Net members who make a living finding treasure, but being wise don't advertise. :cool:
 
Hey everyone!

Just wondering if anyone on here has turned treasure hunting into a career? Whether it be searching for lost treasure, panning, detecting, dredging, gemstones, gold etc. Its just a hobby for me but it would be something else to turn it into a business.

Sheeew! One would more than likely go hungry!!!!
 
To do that requires certain skills and disciplines, and if done right, not many other than the treasure finder would know.

There may well be T Net members who make a living finding treasure, but being wise don't advertise. :cool:
 
I think a treasure career may put undue and unforeseen pressures on your hunting experience. The same kind of pressures we relieve by the hobby itself.
 
I own an antique shop with an under company called Rust Relic Recovery,
most days i am just working with antiques, but fairly often im out finding wedding rings,
property markers and stuff like that. My antiqueshop pays for most of the equipment and bills,
so i dont HAVE to find anything to keep going, That way theres no pressure. And i can do what i want,
when i want to do it, my opinion is that a steady moneymaker is key if you want to do it :)
 
Even the ones on Youtube cant do it for a living alone. they have to do other things just to make ends meet
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom