What's new

Rosies from heaven

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Dropped off some halves today and checked reject tray, as I always do, at the coin counting machine.

To my surprise in there were eight (8) silver FDRs: 47sx2 (that I didn't have yet) 48dx2, 52d and 64dx3.

Gotta like that reject tray silver.

Happy New Year all.......................
 
Upvote 0
thurmownator said:
To my surprise in there were eight (8) silver FDRs: 47sx2 (that I didn't have yet) 48dx2, 52d and 64dx3.
I am happy to get silver at face value.

Even better to get it for FREE :thumbsup:
 
Everything's comin' up rosies! Nicely done Thurm. :thumbsup:
 
thurmownator said:
Dropped off some halves today and checked reject tray, as I always do, at the coin counting machine.

To my surprise in there were eight (8) silver FDRs: 47sx2 (that I didn't have yet) 48dx2, 52d and 64dx3.

Gotta like that reject tray silver.

Happy New Year all.......................


Was that machine a "coin scan" brand machine, the type where you can see the coins spin on a wheel before they drop off into the counter and collection boxes?

I have found a couple of Rosie dimes in the reject tray in one of these types of machines. They dont accept silver dimes for some reason.

Jim
 
Very nice finds!!! :D gotta love free silver

HH
 
I wish I could grab what is in the regect tray but my dump bank Navy Federal Credit Union won't allow it. They say that they have to throw them out. I made the mistake of digging in the regect bin one time and she about ripped my head off like I was a criminal. What I don't get is that they don't know if those coins are mine or not. Just burns me.

-Golden Silver
 
jim4silver said:
thurmownator said:
Dropped off some halves today and checked reject tray, as I always do, at the coin counting machine.

To my surprise in there were eight (8) silver FDRs: 47sx2 (that I didn't have yet) 48dx2, 52d and 64dx3.

Gotta like that reject tray silver.

Happy New Year all.......................


Was that machine a "coin scan" brand machine, the type where you can see the coins spin on a wheel before they drop off into the counter and collection boxes?

I have found a couple of Rosie dimes in the reject tray in one of these types of machines. They dont accept silver dimes for some reason.

Jim

If I could verify a machine rejected all silver I would skip searching them and just pick up bags, dump them through, and collect the reject slot.... :)

Essentially use the coin machine as a ryedale for silver....unfortunately I don't trust that it would reject all the silver without testing it...and I really don't feel like losing a few silvers (and worse it is more likely to lose worn (or older) silvers as they are lighter and probably more closely resemble clad weight).
 
Nothing like free silva!!!! :icon_pirat:
 
GMan00001 said:
jim4silver said:
thurmownator said:
Dropped off some halves today and checked reject tray, as I always do, at the coin counting machine.

To my surprise in there were eight (8) silver FDRs: 47sx2 (that I didn't have yet) 48dx2, 52d and 64dx3.

Gotta like that reject tray silver.

Happy New Year all.......................


Was that machine a "coin scan" brand machine, the type where you can see the coins spin on a wheel before they drop off into the counter and collection boxes?

I have found a couple of Rosie dimes in the reject tray in one of these types of machines. They dont accept silver dimes for some reason.

Jim

If I could verify a machine rejected all silver I would skip searching them and just pick up bags, dump them through, and collect the reject slot.... :)

Essentially use the coin machine as a ryedale for silver....unfortunately I don't trust that it would reject all the silver without testing it...and I really don't feel like losing a few silvers (and worse it is more likely to lose worn (or older) silvers as they are lighter and probably more closely resemble clad weight).


Who said anything about using a coin counting machine to screen out silver? I was making a point that a certain machine has in the past in my CRHing experience had silver dimes in the reject tray on more than one occasion. Also, Coinstar literature states that their machine rejects 90% silver. I would not trust that myself, in that highly circulated coins lose some weight and that could cause the heavier silver halves to be closer in weight to their clad counterparts.

The weight of a mint state US silver dime is 2.5 grams, and the weight of a mint state copper/nickel dime is 2.268 g, thus certain machines could be calibrated to reject coins that don't meet the proper specifications regarding weight. If a silver coin was circulated enough to lose some weight due to wear then I assume it would not be rejected. The silver coins I have found in the reject tray were in good shape and must not have met the specifications of the calibration of the particular machine.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
Who said anything about using a coin counting machine to screen out silver? I was making a point that a certain machine has in the past in my CRHing experience had silver dimes in the reject tray on more than one occasion. Also, Coinstar literature states that their machine rejects 90% silver. I would not trust that myself, in that highly circulated coins lose some weight and that could cause the heavier silver halves to be closer in weight to their clad counterparts.

The weight of a mint state US silver dime is 2.5 grams, and the weight of a mint state copper/nickel dime is 2.268 g, thus certain machines could be calibrated to reject coins that don't meet the proper specifications regarding weight. If a silver coin was circulated enough to lose some weight due to wear then I assume it would not be rejected. The silver coins I have found in the reject tray were in good shape and must not have met the specifications of the calibration of the particular machine.

Jim

I was the one who said that.... :)

And as I went on to say....if only I could trust it...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom