What's new

Route 66 road trip+pics

Texasgopher

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
463
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
My girlfriend and I took a small road trip on old route 66 this weekend. We went east as far as we could go while still making it back home in a day. We have been talking about making it a goal to drive through every town in the panhandle. It would be that hard if you just kept at it. You can make it to the boarder and back in a day easy. It's all the small back road driving and stopping to take pictures that adds on the time. I don't want to take to much time away from MDing this summer though. I just decided not to do a project that I have been a part of the last two summers. It was a ton of fun but it consumes your life from May-August. So I am really looking forward to having a summer to do whatever I want....after I get off work of course. But I think I will find plenty of time to do both if I really want to. Here are the few pics we took. I stopped in one small town to MD an old park but I'll post it in Today's finds.

I also posted about the big cross in Groom, same trip, but it's pic heavy and here is the link if you want to see it. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,307106.0.html

HH all!
TG
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0407.webp
    IMG_0407.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0409.webp
    IMG_0409.webp
    48 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0411.webp
    IMG_0411.webp
    217.1 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0414.webp
    IMG_0414.webp
    173.2 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0415.webp
    IMG_0415.webp
    183 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0421.webp
    IMG_0421.webp
    75.3 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0420.webp
    IMG_0420.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0419.webp
    IMG_0419.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0427.webp
    IMG_0427.webp
    155.7 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0426.webp
    IMG_0426.webp
    201.9 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0425.webp
    IMG_0425.webp
    103.7 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0422.webp
    IMG_0422.webp
    78.5 KB · Views: 375
more
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0427.webp
    IMG_0427.webp
    155.7 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0427.webp
    IMG_0427.webp
    155.7 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0433.webp
    IMG_0433.webp
    58.6 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0431.webp
    IMG_0431.webp
    46 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0430.webp
    IMG_0430.webp
    39.7 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0428.webp
    IMG_0428.webp
    97 KB · Views: 385
I've driven the Mother Road several times,MO to CA, in the late '40's/50's.Brings back lots of memories.Thanks for the pics.
 
This was the last stop before heading home.
 

Attachments

  • FortE.webp
    FortE.webp
    61.4 KB · Views: 389
  • Fort E2.webp
    Fort E2.webp
    69.4 KB · Views: 390
Last pic. We both thought this was hilarious. We stopped at an old steak house and the table cloth was one of those that is made up of old advertisements from the late 1800s-early1900s. I've never seen or heard of anything like this....for women. We were laughing out loud in the restaurant.


Thanks for looking!
TG
 

Attachments

  • old ad.webp
    old ad.webp
    75.7 KB · Views: 563
awesome pics man, whenever i do trips like that i always look up if diners, drive-ins and dives and man vs food places r in my route. They have quite a few on rt. 66.
 
I don't think the rattlesnakes are going to pay any attention to that sign until they get it closer to their eye level, do you?
I can remember comming into Shamrock,Tx. from the West. A large sign said" LAST CHANCE FOR
25 CENT GAS. They were right. In Erik, Oklahoma it was 19 cents. (1955)
 
thanks much for the nice pictures, wow, time sure does pass on. take care, ron
 
I always like driving through the Texas Panhandle. I grew up along Rte. 66 in western Oklahoma and it's hard now to imagine the volume of traffic it carried then. I am glad to see that I-40 doesn't have those 'suicide curbs' that 66 had. When I was little, I would sit beside the road and watch for Martin Milner and George Maharis to come driving by in that vette, but they never did. Elvis did a couple of times, but I missed him.
 
I drove the old Rte 66 many times with my folks back when I was a child. We would go from Tulsa, Ok to Amarillo, TX and then head south out of Amarillo to Carlsbad, NM where my aunt and uncle lived. You can still drive old 66 through western Oklahoma and the pics of the Texas panhandle look so familiar since I was stationed out that way in the Air Force in the 1960s. Thanks for the reminders. My wife's girlfriend ordered a similar bust enlargement through an ad back in the 1060s. It came looking much like the one pictured except it had a rubber hand on the end of the stick! We laughed our butts off about that.Monty
 
Monty said:
I drove the old Rte 66 many times with my folks back when I was a child. We would go from Tulsa, Ok to Amarillo, TX and then head south out of Amarillo to Carlsbad, NM where my aunt and uncle lived. You can still drive old 66 through western Oklahoma and the pics of the Texas panhandle look so familiar since I was stationed out that way in the Air Force in the 1960s. Thanks for the reminders. My wife's girlfriend ordered a similar bust enlargement through an ad back in the 1060s. It came looking much like the one pictured except it had a rubber hand on the end of the stick! We laughed our butts off about that. Monty

They still made them in the '60s?..........well did it work? Sorry, had to ask. :laughing7:
Did you ever make it to the old Amarillo air force base? I've hunted there a few times but have only ever found wheats. Not that I'm complaining. I was told by a man that was stationed there in the 50s that he personally helped some guys build and bury a timecapsule/cache. Underneath his barracks cause they were the kind that were up on risers. I have the exact location of where it should be on a map he made me but still have never been able to find it. He said to his knowledge no one ever went back for it after the base closed in the 60s. He said the cache had an old uniform in it plus some money and other odds and ends. I asked if the box was metal or wood and he can't remember. There is a LOT of iron everywhere and it makes it really difficult hunting. So I don't know if it will ever be found. Unless the box was metal the only thing that would hit on a detector would be the hinges or coins if there are any. He also said he couldn't remember how deep they buried it but said he doesn't think it should be too deep cause they had to do it pretty quick.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that. Maybe I'll find it one of these days. :dontknow:
TG
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom