Rudder size

ggarps

Apr 2, 2006
I think I have found a wooden sailing boat, from the English colonial era. So far there is one encrusted canon, a large pile of clay bricks and a few copper nails. I recently located what I think are 3 pintels from the rudder. I left them undisturbed so I can go back and measure them. Can anyone tell me the approximate size of the vessel once I have the rough dimensions of the rudder.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
ggarps,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find lots of information here on Treasurenet and lots of great friends.

Please keep us informed of your discovery. We always like to hear more about recent finds and love to see pictures.

Once you have your rudder dimensions, you should be able to get an approximate size of the vessel in question. Just an example, a ship of 120-130' could have a rudder some 20'-30' in length and 4'-6' wide. This of course varied based on ship design. There are a number of unknowns in your question, but once you have an approximate size, you should have some idea of the size ship.

Keep us up to date and good luck,

Robert in SC

OP
OP
G

ggarps

Apr 2, 2006
Just revisiting this topic:

There are 3 pintels about 3 ft long spaced about 3ft apart. The rudder was about 4 inches thick. I am not sure what size rudder this would have held but my guess is it is bigger than a pinnace.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread