rust removal question

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be an odd question but I was wondering about the removal of rust from iron relics. I have tried electrolysis (with limited success) on some smaller objects like a harness buckle that I found. The process is lengthy and messy and I am afraid if I leave the relic in to long it will be ruined. However I do have access to a glass bead blaster. Do you think that bead blasting a relic like the hammer in the picture would be better, worse or the same as the electrolysis. I really do not want to ruin any relics.

JimK

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evaporust works good too. You can get it at many auto parts stores or online.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never been a fan of the chemically etched look most of these methods leave my items looking. I know it's gonna sound crazy but I use an electric engraver. Dial it down or up and carve off the rust. As you get down to the metal, I stop there and when I'm done wire brush it....not burning it on a grinder but by hand. Rinse it, let it dry and oil it or wax it. When you're done it still has some brown rust patina look to it, but not crusty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions