What's new

Rusty Halves

OmegaMan

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
720
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
What is the deal with these?
The last six months or so I have been getting these rusty 40s and black 90s.
Does any one know the story?
I have a friend several states away and he is finding the same thing.
They only come in boxes and not hand rolls which makes me believe they are
turned in change counters or something of the sort.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 022.webp
    Picture 022.webp
    39.7 KB · Views: 372
Upvote 0
Looks like coins found in a carwash pit.
 
idk why they're rusty but i like the 81 on the far right looks proof
 
One time when I was at a local coin dealer's store I saw a big stash of old silver dollars he had bought. They had been buried for over 50 years, and many looked like the discolored halves in your picture. Some also had a light green type of color to them in spots.

Jim
 
I think they could be Katrina Coins. It could be possible that all the black halves or rusty halves could be turned in from a large collection or several collections that were in water logged areas. :dontknow: It could also be a large stash turned in that was in a fire. Lj could probably state if they look burnt or not. They look it to me. Just an idea.

Golden Silver
 
Hey OM....nice pile of silver there!! I have been finding some of the black and rusty halves as well. I took a few to a coin dealer to inquire as to his thoughts. It was his opinion and a couple more guys in the coin shop that they are salt water damaged.

One of the guys took one of my Walkers to a coin show a couple of weekends ago to show a gentleman that was going to be there & is very knowledgeable on the subject and he said the same thing. So they have been termed "Katrina" coins.

I am trying to figure out how they are being found in different parts of the country ??? ???

Anyway, nice haul and keep em coming..........
 
Katrina coins it is. Thanks everyone for the replies.
 
Now that is intuition. LOL. Thanks LJ.

Golden Silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom