celtex
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Oct 25, 2009
- Messages
- 385
- Reaction score
- 68
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Texas Panhandle
- Detector(s) used
- Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
Your buckle is called a sabre belt plate it was used on the sword belts used by cavalry and officers which was different from the belt that the enlisted infantry man used. Like Kuger says yours date 1850's to 70's I would lean toward the earlier dates. If your buckle has a narrow tongue on the back I think it is an earlier plate. I think they started using a wide tongue on some plates in 1864. Most of the plates with wide tongues are post civil war.kuger said:there is several of this type of plate or buckle(the same thing)Yours has the applied wreath,and looks to be of the 1851-1874 design.
vayank54 said:I'm not sure when they started using applied wreaths. I think they may have been on the first sabre belt plates made. Some civil war period plates have the wreath cast as part of the buckle. I'm not sure if this is because of the maker or what.
vayank54 said:Yes yours' is the applied silver wreath. The missing pieces are seldom if ever found. I don't know if they were broken off before the plate was lost or just deteriorated over the year. You plate books for somewhere about $250.00 or $300.00