Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATVs are wonderful machines for the treasure hunter but they can be deadly if you don't now how to handle one or become careless. My 800 lb Arctic Cat nearly got me a couple of years ago when it was new. I had some experience at riding ATVs but attempted a grade that was just too steep even for 4 wheel low and it did a back flip with me under it at the top of a 900 foot hill. I remember as the front end was coming up beyond the point of no return that I thought to my self, "this is gonnal hurt"! There was no way for me to jump off or do anything else except ride it out. As it came over and on top of me, as soon as I felt the weight of the ATV, I kicked it up and away from my body as best I could just out of instinct. But I'll never forget that crushing weiight that came down on my back as the thing flipped over me and landed on it's nose behind me. I lay there waiting for the pain I knew was coming and watched it do seven end over end flips then a series of fast rolls before it came to rest at the bottom in an upright position up against a tree. And yes, it did hurt! A lot! But I was lucky as my legs and back bore most of the weight and it didn;t get all the way down onto my body. The machine was a mess. Front and rear racks both bent out of shape, handle bars and instrument pods bent and broken beyond repair. One wheel rim bent too far to repair, and various pieces of plastic fenders and cowling broken and bent out of shape, $1500.00+ worth of damage. And I spend 3 days icing sown my back before I finally went to the doctor and found I had a cracked vertabrae, that took nearly a year to stop hurting. The doctors in the ER told me they see several ATV accident victims every month in the summer and there are some really serious injuries and deaths as a result of exceeding the machines or operator's capability. So, I am a living example when I say be careful, be very careful and wear a helmet even though it's hot and cumbersome. Otherwise you may not live to regret it. But they are a treasure hunter's dream come true when ridden correctly. Monty

afraservt

Jul 6, 2008
Amen.....Been there and done that.That's why I bought the Rokon. You can still get gear to the site but with less worries. But don't think that safety should take a back seat.

Goodinplenty

Dec 9, 2008
Sacramento
I've broken about everything on my quad including ; radiators, axles, wheels, handlebars,throttles, brake lever, and much more. They can be quite dangerous, be careful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread