Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2007
Way Way South Texas
Detector(s) used
dmc IIb, Excal, CZ20, CZ7a, F70, White's BH 300, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same old "which one" question.

Of the following which do you prefere for salt water and wet sand and a maybe a why No Excal please. Limited budget (wife) so say under $600. May have to be used I know but may take the chance. I have looked into the PI's and am still thinking. I am looking to see which would give good depth and disc at the same time. Any other suggestions welcome. Sort of a new to water detecting and am willing to learn the machine.

CZ20
Tiger Shark
BH ID

Thanks.

Upvote 0

badbrains

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
surfmaster pi pro
Re: Same old "which one" question.

oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Saaaaaaaannnnnndmaaaaaaaaaaannnn!!!!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a water machine myself. I think I'm leaning towards the Tiger Shark.

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X

Hopefully Sandman will chime in and answer your questions. If not, PM him and I am sure he will reply. He has answered questions for me in the past and will give you straight answers. I do have a Pulse 8x and an Excalibur. I think the 8x may go deeper but the Excalibur is the detector that I use most.

Welcome to TN.
Bob

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the support guys.

PI detectors are very deep, but you will be also digging deep holes for small pieces of iron since the PI's don't have much discrimination. For handling the dry, wet, and saltwater the Tiger Shark is the one for the price you've set. It has a saltwater mode and if you dive you can take it down to 200 feet. It is so far the only water detector that you can change coils yourself. Other water detectors are the Beach Hunter ID, Fisher 1280 and CZ20. The CZ20 isn't made anymore but you might find one used near your price, but I doubt it. I'd stay away from the funny sounding named ones or ones with snake fang decals.

When you find that first nice gold ring, tell wifey that if you had the Excal you would find her many more rings. You would too.

OP
OP
Arys

Arys

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2007
Way Way South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:)Thanks Sandman, and any that have replied!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Arys, don't necessarily rule out the Excal, you can pick up a nice used one for only a few dollars more if you look. Well worth the effort, and as I have said many times, you can get your money back if you resale it.

I have 2 used Excals I bought and use, both arrived in perfect condition and both are still working perfectly.

OP
OP
Arys

Arys

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2007
Way Way South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well Sandman and Treasure Hunter you talked me into it! I have a used Excal on the way. It's a 800, it looked good in the photos I'll see how it works when it arrives. What's the difference from the 1000? The coil and what else? Here's a pict.

Attachments

• 9228_12.jpg
    9228_12.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 292

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,

the 1000 is the 10" coil, you can always send it to minelab and have a new coil put on, but use it first and if you like it you can always get a newer one "1000" model and keep this one as a back up.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only real difference is the coil size. Like Rj says, use it, learn it, you will like it. I prefer the 1000 only because of the larger coil size. If you find you want the bigger coil, you can send it in to Minelab and have a larger coil put on.

V3 SNIPER

May 2, 2007
toronto
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer 2 pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

CZ-20 ALL THE WAY

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

arys
you won't be disappointed with the excal. the difference between the 800 and 1000 is coil size. I chimed in a little late on this one; I was going to say, don't rule out the excalibur, I picked my last one up used on ebay for 525 shipped to my door.

Learn the tones on the machine... the learning curve is a bit high, but a little time invested has a huge payout (literally). there are a few good reference books for the excal, that i'd recommend getting. do a quick search on ebay... book was between 12 and 15 bucks... but i can't remember the authors name... James Clynick? i think.

Check to see if your excal is still under warranty. If it isn't, and you want a bigger coil... i highly recommend the 15" WOT. I put one on my 800 after the warranty expired, and it works great.

good luck
steve

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

Treasure_Hunter said:
Arys, don't necessarily rule out the Excal, you can pick up a nice used one for only a few dollars more if you look. Well worth the effort, and as I have said many times, you can get your money back if you resale it.

I have 2 used Excals I bought and use, both arrived in perfect condition and both are still working perfectly.

Me too and I agree-go Excal

OP
OP
Arys

Arys

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2007
Way Way South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks to all that answered. I will probably change the coil when I need to service the unit. If that takes too long I will do it when I finally get to know how to work it well. I also picked up a CZ20 used the other day, the warden don't know it yet, so I have a backup when needed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread