San Diego/Orange County, CA Beach Sand Restoration Project--Yikes!

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was hoping to find some discussion on this website about the beach sand restoration project that is currently going on along the beaches of San Diego County and Orange County, CA. As a new owner of a Minelab CTX3030, I am really bummed out that tons of beach treasure is being buried under 12 feet of new sand just as I began hitting the beaches. The Regional Beach Sand Project is placing sand on eight beaches from Imperial Beach to Oceanside. The project began in September, 2012.

If you are interested, there is a lot of information about this project on the Sandag website. The offical name of the project is the "2012 Regional Beach Sand Project." Included on the website is a schedule of when the various beaches are being resanded. When I recently went to "Moonlight Beach" in Orange County, the beach had been transformed by the addition of a 12-foot layer of dredged sand, covering all the various goodies that I was looking forward to finding.

While I understand the reasons for beach restoration, it really puts a puts a damper on metal detecting in the affected areas. I am wondering if any southern CA metal detector users have any thoughts to share on how they are coping with this dramatic change--any info on good beaches left untouched that you would like to share (good luck there, huh?).

In case you have been hibernating over the summer and are out of the flow of things, the affected beaches include Batiquitos Beach, Cardiff Beach, Moonlight Beach, Solana Beach (Fletcher Cove and South Cardiff State Beach), South and North Carlsbad Beaches in the City of Carlsbad, Imperial Beach, and Oceanside Beach. Using Imperial Beach as an example, "450,000 cubic yards of new sand on more than 3,000 feet of beach was completed after four weeks of round-the-clock constuction."

Again, the facts are the facts, and the additional sand will be part of our lives for the next decade. What I would like to hear about is how folks are coping with the change to our beaches and what tips or advice they may wish to pass along to the southern CA metal detecting community.

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
califteacher,
Welcome to Treasure Net and the realities of SoCal sand restoration projects.
Restoration of beach sand in this area is nothing new, it happens periodically; every couple of years. Work the access areas to the beach during this time: paths to the beach and the areas next to the beach parking lots and next to stairs that lead to/from the beach.
Don........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions