What's new

Sand scoops...long handle best?

marco

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2007
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Hello...I have an AT and have only made it to the beach once so far...and digging wih a trowel sure wasnt efficient! Of course I realize a sand scoop is a necessity ( I am surrounded by parks so I set myself up for dirt first ) I am curious if a long-handled scoop is close to being a necessity...I would think that if I want to actualy be in the shallow surf...it would be. Id like to try to take advantage of the waterproof AT a few times.....I am..however...considering a minelab Sov GT for beach...I hear lots of posiive feedback on that detector for beaches. I guess it depends on if I can handle detecting right out there in the knee to waist deep water....I would imagine thats a area people lose a lot of jewelry.
 
Upvote 0
If your going to be hunting the wetsand or in the water you need a good water scoop, not a sand scoop. You will break the handle of a sand scoop in no time at all.. You can just fan the sand, but you will need a snorkle, face mask and dive belt for that....A $60-$80 sand scoop works well in dry sand but isn't worth squat in wet sand or in the water.... A good water scoop will cost you too unless you have the setup to make your own.
 
I would suggest looking into a RTG, Diamond Head, or Stealth.

I noticed you are considering a Sov GT. If you plan on hunting waist deep water I would highly recommend a fully waterproof unit - anything else and you just asking for trouble. Consider an Excal (which is more or less a waterproof Sov GT anyway).
 
I have had this for about 18 years, used mostly in freshwater lakes and some ocean beach sand. I do not remember who makes it but it has never failed me and is still going strong.
 

Attachments

  • sand scoop.webp
    sand scoop.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,337
  • sand scoop head.webp
    sand scoop head.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,707
  • sand scoop head.2.webp
    sand scoop head.2.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,310
A long handle scoop hands down! Get a good one, if you look at my avitar, this is one I made ScoopZilla. It's big heavy and wouldn't suggest that anyone else try this one! Why? Because once you pull it free of the matrix, the sand and the scoop weigh about 30 pounds. When it gets dynamically stuck in the sand matrix, I just lean on the handle to help get the scoop free of the matrix, then I muscle it up out of the surf. If it had a short handle I probably would fight trying to get it free from the matrix! Oh the handle is thick walled aluminum 6 feet long, with a broom handle shoved down the center to give it some additional rigidity.
 
Might as well get it right the first time and get the long handled one if you plan on getting into the water very deep especially in the future. The Sun spot is an awfully good scoop that you can put the size handle in you want. Just drag it behind you to grid an area.

Dew
 
I plan on getting one of the long handle Stealth models, when I order I plan on calling them and asking them which scoop would be best for my needs...
 
Hello...I have an AT and have only made it to the beach once so far...and digging wih a trowel sure wasnt efficient! Of course I realize a sand scoop is a necessity ( I am surrounded by parks so I set myself up for dirt first ) I am curious if a long-handled scoop is close to being a necessity...I would think that if I want to actualy be in the shallow surf...it would be. Id like to try to take advantage of the waterproof AT a few times.....I am..however...considering a minelab Sov GT for beach...I hear lots of posiive feedback on that detector for beaches. I guess it depends on if I can handle detecting right out there in the knee to waist deep water....I would imagine thats a area people lose a lot of jewelry.

Marco if you are going to be at the beach several times a year I would get a good long handle scoop. But if it is something you may do 4 or 5 times a year I made this and have used it with my AT and now as a back up with my excal. Used a grain scoop and electrical conduit Works good
 

Attachments

  • image-1977418582.webp
    image-1977418582.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 205
  • image-3264701329.webp
    image-3264701329.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 209
  • image-1241978289.webp
    image-1241978289.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom