What's new

Sand Shark and small gold chains

dc426

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2011
Messages
312
Reaction score
487
Golden Thread
0
Location
Largo, Florida
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merry Christmas to all!

I bought my wife a small gold chain for Christmas and decided to do a test to see if the SS could detect it. Guess what? Nothing! not even the 18K diamond cross pendant that was on it. This has me thinking I must be missing a ton of stuff out there. Any ideas on this? I wonder why it's not detecting it.
DC
 
Upvote 0
Most pulses won't pickup the thin gold chains and if they did you'd be digging two foot holes for birdshot that would sound like a brass cannon. Those tiny chains mostly weigh less than a gram and the time saved would get you to cover more sweeps to find the larger items. Be careful what you wish for...... :coffee2:
 
Your AT pro will pick it up.
 
lookindown said:
Your AT pro will pick it up.

Are you sure about that ?
 
Merry Christmas!

I'm sorry to hear your Sand Shark would not pick up your small gold chain. I've always heard that they are famous for picking up small chains.

Bob
 

Attachments

  • christmas-animal.webp
    christmas-animal.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 968
I have not had any problems finding chains with my sand shark. I found a 14K gold chain and a 18K gold plated chain and 3 or 4 silver ones so far. I did notice they sounded really really week signals though, almost like it was really deep and they all were. Hope that helps.
 
You have to remember when someone says their detector can find gold chains you have to wonder if the chain had a larger than normal clasp or even a pendant. Some times there is another target under the chain. Silver chains are more conductive than gold and gold plated are over a base metal that could also be discriminated out. My AT Pro can't see a thin 14 kt. gold chain unless I rub the chain on the coil.
 
You have to remember when someone says their detector can find gold chains you have to wonder if the chain had a larger than normal clasp or even a pendant. Some times there is another target under the chain. Silver chains are more conductive than gold and gold plated are over a base metal that could also be discriminated out. My AT Pro can't see a thin 14 kt. gold chain unless I rub the chain on the coil.

This sounds more in line with my experience.
The only machine I have ever used that could get reasonably small chains was the Tesoro Stingray...
Which I now believe is the Tiger Shark...

I have a sand shark and in air tests it would not pick up the rope chain, but the clasp did sound off.
 

Attachments

  • 18k ROPE CHAIN 1 (Large).webp
    18k ROPE CHAIN 1 (Large).webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 2,517
  • 18k ROPE CHAIN 1 (Large).webp
    18k ROPE CHAIN 1 (Large).webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 638
I've not had much of a problem finding them -- in fact, heres a photo of one of them which had no clasp on it. I think alot of it has to do with position within the ground. Be it a ball, or stretched out. One thing I have noticed is that i've never had a chain in the scoop itself, everytime i've dug one, its always hanging out of my scoop. Heres some photos of a few ive found this year that I could locate a photo on quickly.
 

Attachments

  • chain-1.webp
    chain-1.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 532
  • chain-2.webp
    chain-2.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 555
  • chain-3.webp
    chain-3.webp
    105.2 KB · Views: 589
  • chain-4.webp
    chain-4.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 612
  • chain-5.webp
    chain-5.webp
    17 KB · Views: 947
Im not sure what everyone is calling thin....My AT picks up a 4 gram 20 inch chain at 3 inches in air test, the chain, not the clasp. When I found it I was hunting with two friends that were using CZ21s and they asked if my machine detected it or was it an eyeball find. Their CZ couldnt pick it up. Maybe yall are talking about hair thin chains. :dontknow: This was found in freshwater with 7 bars sens. It picks it up hanging straight. I have a new CZ21 with 10 inch coil that I havent used yet. In airtest the ATpro kills the CZ on small gold, but when I test gold 5 grams and up the CZ shines. The bigger the gold the more the CZ beats my AT. Im planning to use the CZ in salt and the AT in fresh. My AT works in salt, but much better in fresh, I can run 7 bars sens in fresh with no falsing and only 5 bars in salt with a little falsing now and then.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom