Sand Shark in Irony Soil

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy, I'm thinking of getting a Sand Shark to use in a few local swimming holes with sand bottoms up to 2 foot deep and in a colonial site that I have in a corn field. I have a Tiger Shark that I normally use in the water and a Tejon in the colonial site. I am sure that there is jewelry in the deep sand that I am not hearing with my Tiger Shark. I know that I will be digging bobby pins and tons of trash but hopefully it will be worth it. The main problem is that the soil is red clay with lots of iron in it. When I water hunt, my magnet in the bottom of my stealth scoop gets covered in tiny pieces of natural iron. Would the Sand Shark be usable in a site like this? Thanks Steve

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes Steve. I suggest the 10.5" coil in your situation. I've used the Sand Shark in very bad soil on Arizona gold claims. It cannot compare to high power machines that can ground balance like the Minelab GPX, GPZ machines, but you'll get extra depth over the VLF.

Attachments

• Phoenix31212 254.jpg
    Phoenix31212 254.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Phoenix31212 252.jpg
    Phoenix31212 252.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 53

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it will be a moot point over say an Excalibur or CZ in pinpoint/AM mode with the ability to switch over to disc mode. You will be at PI depths with waited of these machines in AM metal. I could be wrong but digging every tiny fleck of lead, canslaw, rusty fish hooks and everything in between with a Pi in freshwater is frustrating to say the least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread