Sand/Water Scoops

Gemini420

Jun 27, 2011
Hi there,

I am trying to step up my game and get a proper sand/water scoop, but I am totally shocked at the prices. The market for these scoops is soooooo overpriced considering what they are made of.

A product of similar size and materials (like a nice shovel or sledge hammer, etc.) are $20 - $40 at most hardware stores. Even a carbon fiber and titanium golf club can be found for less money than a steel welded water scoop!

So, I went searching for a reasonably priced sand/water scoop. I figure *someone* out there must be selling these for what they are worth. These things are not high tech construction or anything! A local body shop could custom make one of these for about the same $180 retail price.

Anyways, does anyone know where to find a durable long handle sand/water scoop for a reasonable price? I will happily pay what it is worth, but refuse to buy one for $180 on principal alone. Even the used ones seem to be going for highly inflated prices.

I searched and searched online, but seem to keep finding the same overpriced products.

Maybe there is an existing digging product (for another purpose), called by another name?

Thanks in advance,
Shane

P.S. I ran into a guy detecting on the beach last week. He was swinging a Whites BeachHunter ID. We chatted about sand/surf detecting, and the interference issues in the water. He mentioned that he was not out detecting much anymore and that he had a second Whites BeachHunter ID at home that he was trying to sell online (with no buyers.) I took him up on the offer and bought the Whites BeachHunter ID, plus two used hand scoops for $200. I'm feeling like this was a great deal. The detector works and everything. Realistically, me buying a second detector was a little premature on my part. I'm new to all of this, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity. The same model, albeit old is still for sale at a local store for $1000.) Testing it out, the BeachHunter ID definitely cuts through the interference issues in the water and wet sand, and it seems to have much better discrimination/identification than my Bounty Hunter. So far I'm very happy. I've heard that Whites will upgrade this unit to the BeachHunter 300 model by swapping out some parts? Anyone have any experience with this? Is that worth the effort? Costs?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many people don't know this, the Beach Brute II sold by Kellyco is made by RTG exclusively for Kellyco.

Basket is 8.5 inches wide 6 inches high and 12 inches deep..... I have a stainless steel lip riveted on mine and added the adjustable lift handle and screen mesh to catch dimond earring studs to it, it weighs 5 lbs

It is a backhoe...:thumbup::D

i have always wanted a brute, but it does not hold up around here in the rocks and kelleyco does not add S/S lip, so it would be out of pocket extra money.
see brute without lip used here after 2 years..

I bought as lip from RTG for I think $10, drilled holes and used pop rivets and mounted it on scoop. Piece of cake and no damage after over 2 years of use. Well worth the small cost..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another arm chair detectorists crawls out from the good ol' boy network rock to try to discredit the new guy. It will always amaze me what people want to believe in to make themselves feel better about themselves. Perception is not reality, unless you talk to someone with a very skewed sense of it. Great Post Lookindown. My advice to you and those that liked your post is, don't break a hip swinging your detector. I don't think you realize that your post only makes sense to those who have none. To you my friend, you get the Bonjour award.

I'm a french model. I can't post anything to the internet that's not true.

View attachment 795889

I rest my case. I'm not wasting my time on this thread anymore.
Truth hurts dont it...I like your finds pouch you are wearing in the picture.

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i didnt read all 9 pages but have my 2 cents worth of input. I watched about 10 youtube videos on people making thier own and ventured my own build. I think it is nuts to spend more than 50 bux unless, mind you, you beach hunt often. If you hunt a beach 50 times a year then get a $200 scoop. I will be doing 2 days, max 7 or 8 days on a beach this year. So. I bought a $10 charcoil grill, $5 in 1/4 inch mesh, a $2 clamp and a $10 walmart lightweight marina stick. 20 minutes i have a metal scoop with sturdy stick. If it lasts one year is fine by me.

Also... i found bass pro carries a nice hand scoop now for $30 that you could easily add a sturdy pole to it and have a long scoop. $40? Vs $200... you could buy one a year for 5 years+ if you are rough on them... just thoughts for those on a tight budget . Check youtube. Make a plastic pipe fitting one that will last years! Will try to post a pic of mine...
JMB

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130515_205118.png
    ForumRunner_20130515_205118.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 119

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another arm chair detectorists crawls out from the good ol' boy network rock to try to discredit the new guy. It will always amaze me what people want to believe in to make themselves feel better about themselves. Perception is not reality, unless you talk to someone with a very skewed sense of it. Great Post Lookindown. My advice to you and those that liked your post is, don't break a hip swinging your detector. I don't think you realize that your post only makes sense to those who have none. To you my friend, you get the Bonjour award.

I'm a french model. I can't post anything to the internet that's not true.

View attachment 795889

I rest my case. I'm not wasting my time on this thread anymore.

PI Rat, I highly suggest you read our rules before you post another post like this...

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Unhappy with the Sunspot Stealth 720i

I would avoid the 720i. It's built well but its size makes it useless and difficult to use. It is also overpriced. There are smaller less expensive scoops that can do the same thing. On top of it all the company has bad business practices. They screwed me out of $10. I had ordered the 720i with 1/4" holes and they sent me the 1/2" hole model. I notified them to hopefully get the difference refunded and I got scammed. It has been more than a month and no refund on my $10. They said ship it back and they would pay for the shipping. I explained it would be best to keep the scoop and save on the shipping and just refund me the $10. I think they would have tried to screw me on the return shipping. Looks like I was right, I tried to save them money and they sure kept and pocketed the $10 difference. Good thing I didn't pay the $20 to return ship and get shorted. I would avoid the stealth scoop and company at all cost.

View attachment 794789 View attachment 794790

Hello PI Rat,
Sorry you are not happy with anything. I was on vacation when this thing (the $10 refund delay) happened and I am sorry my employee sent the wrong scoop. I am sure you are kidding when you said that we tried to screw you out of $10.

I just checked and see that Lyndia sent a check Monday for the $10.

I have a great solution:

Please send the scoop back and we will give you a full refund, pay for shipping back and I will throw in an additional $30 for your trouble. Please post here if you agree and I will send a check right away providing you agree to return the scoop.

We not only have a life time warranty but you need to be happy from the start!

Regards,
Chuck
Manufacturer of the Stealth Scoops

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Unhappy with the Sunspot Stealth 720i

I would avoid the 720i. It's built well but its size makes it useless and difficult to use. It is also overpriced. There are smaller less expensive scoops that can do the same thing. On top of it all the company has bad business practices. They screwed me out of $10. I had ordered the 720i with 1/4" holes and they sent me the 1/2" hole model. I notified them to hopefully get the difference refunded and I got scammed. It has been more than a month and no refund on my $10. They said ship it back and they would pay for the shipping. I explained it would be best to keep the scoop and save on the shipping and just refund me the $10. I think they would have tried to screw me on the return shipping. Looks like I was right, I tried to save them money and they sure kept and pocketed the $10 difference. Good thing I didn't pay the $20 to return ship and get shorted. I would avoid the stealth scoop and company at all cost.

View attachment 794789 View attachment 794790

Hello PI Rat,
Sorry you are not happy with anything. I was on vacation when this thing (the $10 refund delay) happened and I am sorry my employee sent the wrong scoop. I am sure you are kidding when you said that we tried to screw you out of $10.

I have a great solution:

Please send the scoop back and we will give you a full refund, pay for shipping back and I will throw in an additional $30 for your trouble. Please post here if you agree and I will send a check right away providing you agree to return the scoop.

Regards,
Chuck

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isnt there a private message system on this site?

Seems like there is a few rants rather than valid "forum" posts from both sides. Just seems that a few posts are out of scope.

JMB

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I hear you, BUT

Seems like there is a few rants rather than valid "forum" posts from both sides. Just seems that a few posts are out of scope.

JMB

I hear you and if PI Rat had called me or sent a private email I would have solved the problem in private. Once he posted at 3 or 4 places that I cheated him out of $10 I figured that the solution should be public as well.

Regards,
Chuck

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Chuck, not sure what happened here. But I have never ever read online any problem with your scoops, or services. To the contrary, I have only read positive things on your products.

Hope this customer is happy in the end, no matter what happens. Looks like your taking very good care of them, bending over backwards.

hh an gl, -Joe

Hello PI Rat,

I have a great solution:

Regards,
Chuck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is thing with my $200 scoop, I have been using it for 3 years now, I could sell it tomorrow for $150 and have no problem getting that price. I did same thing on the original beach brute, so I am not out the $200 it is still in my hands......

If I use the scoop for 3-4 years and sell it for $125-$150 what did that scoop cost me? $50-$75..... Money well spent when you consider all the gold, silver and diamonds it brought up from underwater..

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JMB
Pi Rat opened the door when he decided to speak negatively about Chuck and his company and falsely accuse them of shady practices. Regardless of the situation, I felt that it was important to publicly defend them, so that the public would not be swayed from purchasing a quality made product from a well respected vendor. I've got your back Chuck, all day and every day!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All that ranting and now PI Rat has nothing to say when Chuck calls him out...whats up with that?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Les: It may not be worse than going to a beach, digging jewelry and your scoop poops!

But it is an unforgettable experience when one recovers a buried plastic bag filled with treasure by those who follow their pets with poop scoops, which are usually made of plastic (Argh)!

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this thread proves anything, it is that you cannot satisfy everyone no matter how hard you try.

I usually do not take sides, but I will in this case, as I have difficulty with all knowing misleading post(s), replies and false assumptions.

I may be missing the point (pun intended), but there is no such thing as a perfect scoop for all environments, requirements and capabilities.

Rather than attack, or justify my choice, I would like to flesh out the truth(s) with a few question(s) to PI_Rat, who like a rat in a coffee can, seems to go round and round getting nowhere in thread after thread (in my humble mortal opinion):

If the Stealth scoops are built like a tank, why do treasure hunters prefer the 90 degree angle handle which goes to the bottom of the scoop and further reinforce the basket before using it?

If it is overpriced, why are so many treasure hunters willing to pay this price and more?

If it too big, why is it in such high demand?

How does one bust their but using it? I have had sore arms, a bruised pinkee, and overextended my elbow joint using it and the T Rex. I guess, it is a matter of how you hold your scoop and your physical condition.

How were you able to order a 720i with ¼ inch holes as it is only made with 1/2 inch holes. I suspect that this was a misunderstanding, and you ordered a different model.

While your not receiving your requested $10 difference may be a fact it does not mean that they purposely shorted you so that they could keep the big $10 all for themselves.

If they are that greedy and their business practices are so bad, why have they contacted earlier 720i purchasers to returned them for additional reinforcement by their new enhanced welder and are absorbing the cost of that product improvement plus return shipping?

The one objection that I do have (and it is a big objection) is to Chuck’s offer to pay you an additional $30 for your trouble plus full refund as it encourages such frivolous complaints and vicious attacks (again in my humble mortal opinion).

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this thread proves anything, it is that you cannot satisfy everyone no matter how hard you try.

I usually do not take sides, but I will in this case, as I have difficulty with all knowing misleading post(s), replies and false assumptions.

I may be missing the point (pun intended), but there is no such thing as a perfect scoop for all environments, requirements and capabilities.

Rather than attack, or justify my choice, I would like to flesh out the truth(s) with a few question(s) to PI_Rat, who like a rat in a coffee can, seems to go round and round getting nowhere in thread after thread (in my humble mortal opinion):

If the Stealth scoops are built like a tank, why do treasure hunters prefer the 90 degree angle handle which goes to the bottom of the scoop and further reinforce the basket before using it?

If it is overpriced, why are so many treasure hunters willing to pay this price and more?

If it too big, why is it in such high demand?

How does one bust their but using it? I have had sore arms, a bruised pinkee, and overextended my elbow joint using it and the T Rex. I guess, it is a matter of how you hold your scoop and your physical condition.

How were you able to order a 720i with ¼ inch holes as it is only made with 1/2 inch holes. I suspect that this was a misunderstanding, and you ordered a different model.

While your not receiving your requested $10 difference may be a fact it does not mean that they purposely shorted you so that they could keep the big $10 all for themselves.

If they are that greedy and their business practices are so bad, why have they contacted earlier 720i purchasers to returned them for additional reinforcement by their new enhanced welder and are absorbing the cost of that product improvement plus return shipping?

The one objection that I do have (and it is a big objection) is to Chuck’s offer to pay you an additional $30 for your trouble plus full refund as it encourages such frivolous complaints and vicious attacks (again in my humble mortal opinion).
I think Chuck offered him the $30 to show PI Rat how wrong he was about bad mouthing his business.

Last edited:

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, i build scoops for myself and have done two water scoops. I make them out of stainless and to date no breakage or cracks and i have been using them for 10 years. To make a scoop does take abit but to sell them for the prices i see here , i would be ashamed. i build them from 316 stainless dairy grade, 2'' to 4'' tube at 16 or 12 ga. i also make them to measure, 6'' blade all the way to 10'' blade. that way you can dig according to your depth meter of your detector. will post some pics soon. Oh the cost to me is basically free, the cost to you is another story.lol

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, i build scoops for myself and have done two water scoops. I make them out of stainless and to date no breakage or cracks and i have been using them for 10 years. To make a scoop does take abit but to sell them for the prices i see here , i would be ashamed. i build them from 316 stainless dairy grade, 2'' to 4'' tube at 16 or 12 ga. i also make them to measure, 6'' blade all the way to 10'' blade. that way you can dig according to your depth meter of your detector. will post some pics soon. Oh the cost to me is basically free, the cost to you is another story.lol
So if your ashamed of the prices, what would you sell one of yours for?

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like you should start a small business! I'd love to see some pics of your work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions