Sand/Water Scoops

Gemini420

Jun 27, 2011
Hi there,

I am trying to step up my game and get a proper sand/water scoop, but I am totally shocked at the prices. The market for these scoops is soooooo overpriced considering what they are made of.

A product of similar size and materials (like a nice shovel or sledge hammer, etc.) are $20 - $40 at most hardware stores. Even a carbon fiber and titanium golf club can be found for less money than a steel welded water scoop!

So, I went searching for a reasonably priced sand/water scoop. I figure *someone* out there must be selling these for what they are worth. These things are not high tech construction or anything! A local body shop could custom make one of these for about the same $180 retail price.

Anyways, does anyone know where to find a durable long handle sand/water scoop for a reasonable price? I will happily pay what it is worth, but refuse to buy one for $180 on principal alone. Even the used ones seem to be going for highly inflated prices.

I searched and searched online, but seem to keep finding the same overpriced products.

Maybe there is an existing digging product (for another purpose), called by another name?

Thanks in advance,
Shane

P.S. I ran into a guy detecting on the beach last week. He was swinging a Whites BeachHunter ID. We chatted about sand/surf detecting, and the interference issues in the water. He mentioned that he was not out detecting much anymore and that he had a second Whites BeachHunter ID at home that he was trying to sell online (with no buyers.) I took him up on the offer and bought the Whites BeachHunter ID, plus two used hand scoops for $200. I'm feeling like this was a great deal. The detector works and everything. Realistically, me buying a second detector was a little premature on my part. I'm new to all of this, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity. The same model, albeit old is still for sale at a local store for $1000.) Testing it out, the BeachHunter ID definitely cuts through the interference issues in the water and wet sand, and it seems to have much better discrimination/identification than my Bounty Hunter. So far I'm very happy. I've heard that Whites will upgrade this unit to the BeachHunter 300 model by swapping out some parts? Anyone have any experience with this? Is that worth the effort? Costs?

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heartslayer: I assume that as you manufactured only two scoops in ten years that these stand up water scoops were prototypes and have not been extensively tested for reliability. Please let me know if I am wrong, and post pictures of the scoops as well as their price(s) as I sure would like to purchase one or more at the at the low low price(s) which you would not be ashamed of selling them at. As the cost of material to you is basically free, I am sure that your scoops will be a real steal and you will do well as your profit margin(s) should be terrific. Looking forward to seeing your catalog(s) in the immediate to near future. As a matter of clarification, since the stainless is dairy grade, I want to be sure that you extensively tested theese by scooping up mud/sand/clay bottoms rather than plain old BS (a very different material/median).

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
Niagara
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Special Edition, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water Scoop Plans

Now THAT'S funny! :laughing7: I don't care what you're scoopin! :occasion14:

Hey I agree... I was looking for a scoop also and didn't want to pay that much.
I searched online and found this site and ordered their plans June Special only $19.95 BigFoot Products Water Wizard
I can't wait to get them.. All I have to do is drill my own holes.. take it to a welder and it's done.
I checked with the welding shop and they said they would weld it for $25.00.
A great looking scoop I'll post pictures once I get it finished.
I certainly don't mind drilling the holes when you consider the cost of the material, the welding & plans I'm going to have an awesome scoop
for less than $75.00
Now all I have to do is wait till the lakes warm up.. to try out my new Tesoro Tiger Shark.
All the best
twg

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Slander and Libel is against the law. It is time to grow up William

I would avoid the 720i. It's built well but its size makes it useless and difficult to use. It is also overpriced. There are smaller less expensive scoops that can do the same thing. On top of it all the company has bad business practices. They screwed me out of $10. I had ordered the 720i with 1/4" holes and they sent me the 1/2" hole model. I notified them to hopefully get the difference refunded and I got scammed. It has been more than a month and no refund on my $10. They said ship it back and they would pay for the shipping. I explained it would be best to keep the scoop and save on the shipping and just refund me the $10. I think they would have tried to screw me on the return shipping. Looks like I was right, I tried to save them money and they sure kept and pocketed the $10 difference. Good thing I didn't pay the $20 to return ship and get shorted. I would avoid the stealth scoop and company at all cost.

View attachment 794789 View attachment 794790

William,

You seem like a very small person without any power in your life so you sit behind your computer and slam someone for no reason.

Short version of what happened: You ordered a 720i with 1/4" holes and my employees made a mistake and sent you one with 1/2" holes. We offered to exchange it or give you a refund for the difference of $10. You repeated over and over how Sunspot cheats buyers etc.

This was my Post of May 16, 2013 (offer to you):

Hello PI Rat,
Sorry you are not happy with anything. I was on vacation when this thing (the $10 refund delay) happened and I am sorry my employee sent the wrong scoop. I am sure you are kidding when you said that we tried to screw you out of $10.

I just checked and see that Lyndia sent a check Monday for the $10.

I have a great solution:

Please send the scoop back and we will give you a full refund, pay for shipping back and I will throw in an additional $30 for your trouble. Please post here if you agree and I will send a check right away providing you agree to return the scoop.

We not only have a life time warranty but you need to be happy from the start!

Regards,
Chuck
Manufacturer of the Stealth Scoops

You may want to study Slander and Libel to get an idea what this will cost you in terms of dollars if you continue as well as your reputation here on this forum (which frankly is shot beyond repair).

As mentioned in my above post I said we had sent you the $10 refund and yet you keep posting that we cheated you out of the money. Everyone will now see the cancelled check so at least this is one lie you will not get away with anymore.

It amazes me how someone like you could actually think that I would cheat you out of $10. How small are you to think this?

As for your skills as a water hunter, you reveal you self with every post you make.

If Sunspot Stealth scoops are so bad, why did you elect to keep the 720i and your Classic 8 when I made my offer of a full refund PLUS $30 for you trouble?

I am going to say it one time and one time only: If you continue with your lies, I will be sure the day will come that you will be sorry for your libel actions.

Chuck

PS I was asked by the forum to remove the image of the cancelled check since it is against the rules. The forum has a copy and will verify that it is real.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would avoid the 720i. It's built well but its size makes it useless and difficult to use. It is also overpriced. There are smaller less expensive scoops that can do the same thing. On top of it all the company has bad business practices. They screwed me out of $10. I had ordered the 720i with 1/4" holes and they sent me the 1/2" hole model. I notified them to hopefully get the difference refunded and I got scammed. It has been more than a month and no refund on my $10. They said ship it back and they would pay for the shipping. I explained it would be best to keep the scoop and save on the shipping and just refund me the $10. I think they would have tried to screw me on the return shipping. Looks like I was right, I tried to save them money and they sure kept and pocketed the $10 difference. Good thing I didn't pay the $20 to return ship and get shorted. I would avoid the stealth scoop and company at all cost.

View attachment 794789 View attachment 794790

PI Rat, chuck produced canceled check showing you got your refund, he also shows he offered you additional $30.00 plus full refund.

Your post is not accurate and it violates our rules.

Do not slander them again here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe Pi-Rat would keep this going I have personally dealt with chuck and his tools are great, he is probably one of the most honest people I have met on this forum so I hope that this helps clear up any doubts as to his buisness practices!! I'm glad treasure hunter got involved with this cause its not right to continue to lie on someone especially when they have tried to do right by you in every way they possibly could. He wanted to keep his money and his scoops... Up here in Kentucky we call that getting you cake and eating it to!! That doesn't work in the real world!! Chuck I will continue using your stuff and buying it from you when and if I need it!! Thanks for being a great businessman!

William,

You seem like a very small person without any power in your life so you sit behind your computer and slam someone for no reason.

Short version of what happened: You ordered a 720i with 1/4" holes and my employees made a mistake and sent you one with 1/2" holes. We offered to exchange it or give you a refund for the difference of $10. You repeated over and over how Sunspot cheats buyers etc.

This was my Post of May 16, 2013 (offer to you):

Hello PI Rat,
Sorry you are not happy with anything. I was on vacation when this thing (the $10 refund delay) happened and I am sorry my employee sent the wrong scoop. I am sure you are kidding when you said that we tried to screw you out of $10.

I just checked and see that Lyndia sent a check Monday for the $10.

I have a great solution:

Please send the scoop back and we will give you a full refund, pay for shipping back and I will throw in an additional $30 for your trouble. Please post here if you agree and I will send a check right away providing you agree to return the scoop.

We not only have a life time warranty but you need to be happy from the start!

Regards,
Chuck
Manufacturer of the Stealth Scoops

You may want to study Slander and Libel to get an idea what this will cost you in terms of dollars if you continue as well as your reputation here on this forum (which frankly is shot beyond repair).

As mentioned in my above post I said we had sent you the $10 refund and yet you keep posting that we cheated you out of the money. Everyone will now see the cancelled check so at least this is one lie you will not get away with anymore.

It amazes me how someone like you could actually think that I would cheat you out of $10. How small are you to think this?

As for your skills as a water hunter, you reveal you self with every post you make.

If Sunspot Stealth scoops are so bad, why did you elect to keep the 720i and your Classic 8 when I made my offer of a full refund PLUS $30 for you trouble?

I am going to say it one time and one time only: If you continue with your lies, I will be sure the day will come that you will be sorry for your libel actions.

Chuck

PS I was asked by the forum to remove the image of the cancelled check since it is against the rules. The forum has a copy and will verify that it is real.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck is correct I have a copy of the canceled $10 refund check including signature on back where it was deposited.

Case closed...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: OBN

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my first and only scoop last November from Chuck and I am pleased with his product and his customer service. I like the scoop and it's size gives me the leverage to work 5-6 hours in the freshwater lake or rivers that I detect. The way the handle is made is to my advantage. I push the tip of the scoop in the sand or mud, pull back on the handle, push the tip down further and work the handle as needed. Once I'm sure my recovered target is in the scoop, I position the scoop back over the hole and put my foot between the bottom and the step and work it back and forth with my leg muscles. I have 5 bad discs in my C-spine and a herniated disc at L-5 and this big scoop gives me the leverage to dig some pretty deep targets. When I called Chuck up and told him what I wanted I told him I would buy a wooden pole and fix it myself and he asked me if I would rather be working on my scoop or using it to recover my finds. I took his advice and bought the scoop and the pole that came with it and I have been happy ever since. I'm not really much of a DIY like a lot of talented people on this forum and I would rather spend what little time I have to detect than working on a scoop. If I can use the Sunspot scoop, anybody can. I recovered a clad quarter at about a foot the other day and it took me about 30 minutes due to the depth of the water and all the waves from passing boats. I would have got it on the first or second scoop if the water hadn't been almost to my neck. I also recovered a nice gold chain that day and am well pleased with the product and Chuck mailed my scoop to me before I sent him a check and you don't get that kind of customer service anymore. Thanks Chuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread