Sandy Find

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well the northern approach to Indian River Inlet is closed on Rt1 so I hit the beach at the end of Canyon rd. Near the inlet. Came up with a small dime size coin Looks gold color after a little "cleaning". Has a profile on one side and and a lion on the other. Will add pictures later. Frank sandy 2012-4.jpg sandy 2012-3.jpg sandy 2012-2.jpg sandy 2012-1.jpg

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Jeff came up with a coin that is similar. It appears that it is probably a German coin from about 1840. That stretch of beach near the inlet is where that Dutch Settlement material was pumped up last year. Looks like there is still some left. The coin was laying on the surface and looked like a black stone. It is paper thin and slightly oval due to crude stamping. Any one know German? Frank

Attachments

30.3 KB · Views: 561
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well you guys, here's a history lesson on your area. DCMatt Nailed this one down. It is a German brass coin from 1732-1774. The image is Louis XV. The IAD at the bottom = Johann Albert Dorn. In that time period, I&J were interchangeable. Frank

Attachments

30.3 KB · Views: 545

sbunting

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2012
Lewes, DE
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
When you are talking about the inlet approach being cut off, you are clearly referring to the Indian River Inlet. When you are talking about Dutch settlement artifacts being pumped onto the beach, that was Roosevelt Inlet 15 miles north. So your coin ID is on the mark, but don't necessarily connect that from Dutch artifacts 15 miles to the north. Different inlet and different beach..

http://cpg.stparchive.com/Archive/CPG/CPG12102004p001.php

Awesome find!

Beachcomber3

Oct 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The object that you found appears to be a jetton rather than a actual coin. A jetton, counting caster used in accounting and mathematical calculations, are often similar to coins as they feature the profile of ruling monarchs. They are usually a copper alloy however can be pewter. Although I have not found any at the Indian River Inlet, I have found 2 without a detector, at the site of the Roosevelt Inlet Shipwreck. The Roosevelt Shipwreck, which sunk in 1774, was a commerical ship containing goods such as ceramic, wine, utilitarian wares to be sold in Philadelphia. It did not carry gold, silver or other precious commodities. The Louis XV jetton, which is the same as the ones that I have, have the words RECHEN PFENING in German, which means reckoning penny. The IAD indicates that Nuremberg guild masters from the 18th century who crafted them. The jetton also have been found with King George II (1727-1760) likeness.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I am not from DE. so I am not sure of the inlet name. I parked at the end of Canyon Rd. which is at an inlet. I searched the beach for a couple of hundred yards. The "coin" was found app. 100yds south of the inlet. It was on the surface and looked like a black stone about the size of a dime, 5/8". It appears to be brass. Frank

PS, it's an old German coin.

Attachments

30.3 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions