saturday and todays hunt

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer
saturday and today's hunt

Well, thought i'd finally try the county museum saturday while i had time alone to myself. It was built in 1876 and apparently this was the first town of my county. I see nothing of a town now but there's old houses all around, and when i look at this building it's pretty obvious there was activity here then. This was the old schoolhouse and now the county owns it. Got permission and off i went. I wasn't expecting much, as it's been raped during the years by detectorists. Even my whites dealer hit it back when he detected during the 80's and he's a awesome hunter. But i was armed with the dfx and super 12 coil, and thought i could squeeze atleast something out of there. There was alot of junk in the ground and i dug ALOT of it. Mainly iffy DEEP signals that turned out to be deep iron. There was really old horse parts, ancient nails etc.

after about a hour and a half with no good targets. I quit digging iffies and stopped and started observing the landscape. I decided to hunt along the fence line thinking detectorists wouldn't have looked there as much because it used to be a metal fence and now it's a nice pretty white wooden fence. My hunch paid off and i got a weird but unignorable signal and dug a plug around 6 and popped out a dirty silver p war nickel (1943). Then got a old cufflink a few steps later but it's all iron and nasty looking but it looks old. That was all i could muster on saturday.

I went back today and went outside of the fence this time and pulled a 1901 indian out but it was all i could muster. I think i'm gonna go back here maybe one more time, and try to get permission on a neighbors property and hunt the outskirts of this old school. I smell seated.......it's there somewhere. Hey kibitz i snuck out afer all! lol

Thanks for looking
matt

Attachments

• historical.jpg
    historical.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 43war.jpg
    43war.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 337
  • cufflink.jpg
    cufflink.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 341
  • indian.jpg
    indian.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 339
Upvote 0
Re: saturday and today's hunt

cool location

thx for the 2 replies...my post got buried pretty quick lol

Nice finds,

Yes they will often overlook the ruff spots and edges. I've made a living that way at sites. Get that super 12 out to some wooded area's were you can cover ground quickly and get good depth also.

HH Jer

A couple of neat finds....Matt

nice finds! keep it up and HH :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back