Saturdays dig found an old pistol or rifle shot

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All. Went out Saturday for a few hours to concentrate on the deep stuff and I found what appears to be an old pistol shot. I dont' know much about these so I posted it on the "What is it" part of the forum. The concensus seems to be that it is a pistol or rifle shot. This sucker was more that a foot down. I know it sounds improbable that something that deep would produce a signal but I was digging til I hit water.I lost two or three targets because I had to go so deep (up to my elbow) that I gave up because my sunray could pinpoint it and I only had my Lesche to dig with. I should have brought my shovel but I hate carring that thing through the park. I also found some clad and a "winchester new rival shell" which surprised me because I can't imagine there's been any hunting in this little park for a hundred years. I lived up to my TNET name on saturday, I was covered with mud. I must have scared the hell out of some of the people in the park when I came out of the woods looking like that. Well that's it, I hope to hook up with some of you guys soon to do some hunting. Later.

Attachments

• musket ball and shell.jpg
    musket ball and shell.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 189
Oh by the way I posted the shot was 8" down on the "What is it forum" because I wanted an answer what it was and not questions about the depth. I've heard wet ground can increase the depth on a detector but my depth indicator only seems to read a certain maximum depth and no more.

Hey Dirtyjohn, given that the shot has what appears to be multiple impacts that are circular, it might just be a piece of buckshot from a shotgun. I think the New Rival headstamp goes back to about 1904 but it might be a little earlier.

I've found many old .30-06 casings in and around towns, including live rounds that were almost as old as the one you found. It's been a popular cartridge ever since it's introduction. Check around some of the headstamp sites to see if you can get more info on it.

Thanks for your reply. Someone on another post said it might be buckshot. I wasn't sure beacause I thought it was to big to be buckshot but then again I'm used to modern day stuff. I found this headstamp on another sight but there wasn't to much info on dates. There was a 1912 new rival casing made but like you said it was a common shell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back