gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey y'all. I got out for a little bit the other day, trying to open up a new area to hunt. Sadly i got a no from my best target property. I did quite a bit of exploring around it, but I only came up with some modern trash and this one weird little bullet. When I found it, I thought it was probably an older but still modern rifle bullet. I was happy when I showed it at the nvrha relic club and learned that it was from a savage pistol. I'll have to spend some more time there to see if there's some more I missed in my survey. I've included a picture from the LOC showing an unknown soldier with a savage pistol.

I went back to the cow field after that, hoping I wouldn't get skunked (and not knowing I already had one good bullet). It took a while, but I did find a nice patch of cleaners and three ringers we hadn't gone over yet. That's where I found the best one for the day, this great late 1700's paste stone and silver cufflink. Well, half of it anyways. I'll have to see if the other half is out there sometime. Here's a link to a very similar complete cufflink.

How did it end up there? Who knows. There were bullets all around it in a tight circle. Besides modern aluminum and farm iron, I haven't found anything from that period in the field. No flat buttons, buckle pieces, house site trash anything. Just a couple CW buttons and a ton of bullets. So my theory right now is that these cufflinks, by this time an already an antique at 60+ years old, were being taken home by some Union soldier as a souvenir, before one of them was accidentally lost in camp. Of course I can never prove that, but it's a good story ha-ha.

I've got some more info and pictures at the blog if you're interested. I split it up into two posts, one for the savage and the other for the cufflink. Detecting Saxapahaw

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• IMG_20160301_223126.jpg
    IMG_20160301_223126.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20160301_223335.jpg
    IMG_20160301_223335.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20160301_223307.jpg
    IMG_20160301_223307.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20160301_223647.jpg
    IMG_20160301_223647.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20160301_232424.jpg
    IMG_20160301_232424.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 32121v.jpg
    32121v.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 12
Congratz on some wonderful finds! I love the old picture too!

Awesome finds!

Congrats on the bullets and nice 18th century cuff link :thumbsup:

Love that little Gem:headbang:
Whoever lost it must have bummed.

~Blaze

Very cool, , that pistol looks just like the ones that me and the Outlaw Josie Wales used to carry.
Congrats

Nice digs, I found one of those savage bullets last summer, very cool.

That's a nice hunt!! Congrats[emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut

allot of nice bullets there,congrats on the colonial jewelry and savage bullet.them savage bullets aren't easy ones to come by -HH

Last edited:
Great pictures and finds. Love the cufflink!! The savage is a tough one to find too.

I love the Savage bullet!!! Congrats on a Great Day of hunting

Thanks y'all!! And to think, that little bullet almost ended up in my junk pouch lol.

Thanks y'all!! And to think, that little bullet almost ended up in my junk pouch lol.

Yea those Savage Bullets look a-lot like Older Modern Cast Ones.

Very nice finds , DEEEP Cavity on that 3 ringer, & Imo They really hated those T/3 Cleaners. Good for us tho.
Davers

Cool Blog U got There.

Also , You do some Great Research .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back