saved 280 year old silver from destruction,plus possible massachusetts copper 1787

rich f

May 29, 2013
mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was one of our best days at the corn field i got my oldest silver 1736 2 reale its bent but i dont care i love it and possible 1787 mass copper maybe someone here can help i can see alittle detail but i have it saoking in oil now the date is 1787 and a 1910 barber quater and a standing liberty with no date of course ...should i try and unbend the reale or leave it be? 20160925_080435_resized.jpg20160925_080441_resized.jpg20160925_083726_resized.jpg20160925_103354_resized.jpg20160925_153735_resized.jpg20160925_153745_resized.jpg20160925_154857_resized.jpg20160925_154902_resized.jpg20160925_155300_resized.jpg20160925_155435_resized.jpg

Upvote 24
Wow, amazing, I would try to unbend it, but if it starts to break leave it alone

If you want it unbent, I'd be very careful. Probably some on here can help with how to do is as safe as possible. BTW, that's a heck of a hunt. A good spread of good finds.

i want to unbend it there is so much details on the inside but im 99% sure it will break

Great recoveries! Congrats finding the 2 Reale Pistereen. Bucket list find! If I found that I would look into getting it straightened out by a jeweler or I believe there are services that straighten out coins you can search the web. HH

Check out YouTube annealing, quenching silver coins. But I wouldn't do it myself the first time on that coin.

That's an incredible silver find you have there. I'd want to unbend it too. Hard to tell with the copper. Better pic might help with ID.

Good going on the Spanish silver....I wouldn't take a chance I'd have a jeweler do it for me.

Regards + HH

Bill

That's some quality silver finds, I hope you manage to straighten out that Spanish.

Great finds!
I have no idea what to do with a bent dime. But that said I am going to take a SERIOUS look at corn fields.

Congratulations on your very nice finds. Trying to straighten the silver is very risky. Heating and flattening by increments may cause permanent damage. Take your time deciding, you have the coin so there is no hurry.

Rich--congrats on these amazing finds! And all in one day. Yahoo! -Lisa & John

Congratualtions on the awesome hunt! :occasion14:

Hi; 1787 is the Mass Large Cent Date. Better cleaning and pictures and We can nail it o. DO NOT try to unbend the Reale. Let a Pro do it ok. The cost is cheap enoough to make it feasible ok. PEAE:RONB

the reale is broken where it is bent so if it is unbent it will break which sucks so i will ponder the decision for awhile ,but i have the copper soaking in oil for a week or so then ill pick at it with a tooth pick to see if i can get more then a date off it ,and i will post picks if i decide to unbend the reale

Congrats on a great coin. I'm with everyone else. I would have a jeweler look at it. I do have a good method for straightening my own items, but in the same breath I dont think I have had anything bent in half like your coin.

If it was mine, I wouldnt unbend it, the bend is part of its history. Dont try to change history. It will break anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back