Saved the best for last

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the '60's, I worked on a cow outfit on the Carson River in Nevada. All of the following stuff was found by me on the 8,000 acres of deeded land along the river. I consider these my best finds.
[attach 1]
The above is a photo of a frame of my favorite finds. Each one has a story.
[attach 2]
[attach 3]
The two above photos are the same point, which is of one of my very most favorites. It's made from translucent obsidian with mossy looking inclusions. To me it's gem quality, and one of the best that I've found.
[attach 4]
Two of us had been down to the lower end of the ranch, and were riding back on the bluff above the river. I hadn't been working for the ranch very long, and the above photo is of the first point I found on the place, and I wasn't even looking for arrowheads at the time. I saw the point on top of the ground at the last second, and then my horse stepped on it, and of course I thought it was broken for sure. I backed the horse up, jumped down, and low and behold, the point wasn't hurt a bit, the foot had dead centered it, so the iron shoe didn't touch the point, and it was only pressed into the sandy soil. After finding that one, I spent more time looking at the ground instead of at the cows, and I think that's probably why my job ended.
[attach 5]
[attach 6]
The above two points were found on the ranch, close together, and a couple of miles down stream from where I found the first ones in this post. I've always suspected that they were from an earlier period/culture, because the material they are made from is totally different than anything else around there, and the style just looks different to me. However, I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably making a wrong guess about them.
[attach 7]
[attach 8]
The two above drills were found close together, and on the same day. We had a gully washer of a rain, it poured straight down, very hard for several minutes. The soil was very sandy, and I don't remember there being a rock on the place large enough to kill a snake. I was in the pickup, driving down a ranch road, which in that location, was also a sunken road, so that the ground outside of the side window was just about level with the bottom of the steering wheel of the truck. In other words, I was looking out just about flat, rather than down. The obsidian drill was on a little pillar of sand, maybe an inch high, where the rain had packed down the soil around it. So I looked around a bit, and the white drill was also on it's little pedestal. That's the only time that's ever happened to me. [attach 9]
The above knife was found opening day of deer season one year. I walked out onto a point of ground, a bench that was above an irrigation ditch, that was flanked with willows and cottonwood trees. I didn't see any deer, but as I was leaving I looked down, and by golly, there it was, I was almost standing on it.
Below are two photos which I think are glass. It's been worked a little bit, but not a lot, and if you will look at the second photo, there is a flat place that looks like perhaps it came from a bottle. Anyhow, I found it in with the rest of the stuff I was finding, and thought it was interesting even if it isn't anything, so I kept it.
[attach 10]
[attach 11]

Attachments

• DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 408
  • Nevada12.jpg
    Nevada12.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 406
  • Nevada9.jpg
    Nevada9.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 403
  • Nevada8.jpg
    Nevada8.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 406
  • Nevada7.jpg
    Nevada7.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 412
  • Nevada6.jpg
    Nevada6.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 408
  • Nevada2.jpg
    Nevada2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 355
  • Nevada4.jpg
    Nevada4.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 404
  • Nevada14.jpg
    Nevada14.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 403
  • Nevada18.jpg
    Nevada18.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 406
  • Nevada20.jpg
    Nevada20.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, I still have a couple of more pictures I want to post, so here they are.
[attach 1]
This would be a spall that was knocked of the core rock, in this case obsidian, which would have then been worked into a point. In this case they didn't work it, perhaps because it was too small.
[attach 2]
Above is a piece of agate that I think the Indian fellow tried working, didn't like what he was seeing, and he threw it away. Just my guess though. Below is the same piece in my hand, showing the size.
[attach 3]
That's about all I have, I think I've shown my entire collection. Any comments or thoughts will sure be appreciated.

Attachments

• Nevada15.jpg
    Nevada15.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 407
  • Nevada22.jpg
    Nevada22.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 412
  • Nevvada21.jpg
    Nevvada21.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 409

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those first two points are superb. I do like the Micro-drills too.
Very nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions