What's new

Saw a Lone Female

Tesorodeoro

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2018
Messages
2,958
Reaction score
5,155
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiking down the freeway with a detector in hand. Huffing it into an area I’d thought about searching for nuggets. All by herself, in mountain lion country with her car parked down at the next exit. Made me curious about who would be maverick enough to do something like that. I’m still curious. Is that weird? Never ran into any female solo nugget hunters in the “wild”. How about you? Any women got the fever enough to invest in a detector and go at it themselves?
 
Upvote 0
I knew a girl in Colorado who would go solo, but she wasn't alone. Colt was always with her.
Now that wouldn’t surprise me. My daughter was raised to be confident enough to go hiking in bear country by herself in the wilderness. I think I did good. Of course she had a dog and a gun. I’m not sure how common that is. But someone going out alone in frozen rattlesnake country is either sick with a fever or broke as hell! Of course I’m half kidding.
 
Last edited:
Hiking down the freeway with a detector in hand. Huffing it into an area I’d thought about searching for nuggets. All by herself, in mountain lion country with her car parked down at the next exit. Made me curious about who would be maverick enough to do something like that. I’m still curious. Is that weird? Never ran into any female solo nugget hunters in the “wild”. How about you? Any women got the fever enough to invest in a detector and go at it themselves?
Yeah I know, knew quite a few women prospectors here. Couple were pretty good too.
 
Few and far between.
 
Hiking down the freeway with a detector in hand. Huffing it into an area I’d thought about searching for nuggets. All by herself, in mountain lion country with her car parked down at the next exit. Made me curious about who would be maverick enough to do something like that. I’m still curious. Is that weird? Never ran into any female solo nugget hunters in the “wild”. How about you? Any women got the fever enough to invest in a detector and go at it themselves?
Yes, there are probably a decent amount. There's already a massive portion who enjoy the outdoors, so doesn't seem unlikely that a good amount would go down the geology -> minerology -> prospecting pipeline. It's not weird to be curious, but for safety reasons it is likely that we will either stick to where there's many people, or none at all (in response to your statement about not seeing many in the wild).

I don't own a detector or a gun, but will likely invest in both soon. I like prospecting! It's fun and good exercise in the outdoors, what could be better?

Just the other day I was deep in the Bradshaws of Arizona, and came across some old diggings. I wish I had poked around more attentively, because later I was looking at the photos and missed a sign hanging above the mine (although it looked very old and the color was washed out of it). Found cool pieces of history - an old campfire ring of stone, an old dirt road (long overgrown), a rusty can. Also chipped away at the diggings myself and found/collected some excellent pyrite specimens running thick in the quartz with copper, galena and other mineralization. Anyway, getting off topic. So, hopefully that answers some of your questions. I'm only a novice, but there are many far more seasoned/experienced ladies out there I'm sure.
 
Yes, there are probably a decent amount. There's already a massive portion who enjoy the outdoors, so doesn't seem unlikely that a good amount would go down the geology -> minerology -> prospecting pipeline. It's not weird to be curious, but for safety reasons it is likely that we will either stick to where there's many people, or none at all (in response to your statement about not seeing many in the wild).

I don't own a detector or a gun, but will likely invest in both soon. I like prospecting! It's fun and good exercise in the outdoors, what could be better?

Just the other day I was deep in the Bradshaws of Arizona, and came across some old diggings. I wish I had poked around more attentively, because later I was looking at the photos and missed a sign hanging above the mine (although it looked very old and the color was washed out of it). Found cool pieces of history - an old campfire ring of stone, an old dirt road (long overgrown), a rusty can. Also chipped away at the diggings myself and found/collected some excellent pyrite specimens running thick in the quartz with copper, galena and other mineralization. Anyway, getting off topic. So, hopefully that answers some of your questions. I'm only a novice, but there are many far more seasoned/experienced ladies out there I'm sure.
Thanks for that. There are unlimited numbers of adventures once you learn to place less importance on “striking it rich”. The older I get, the more I drop things I used to worry about and find more enjoyment in small things, like the warmth of the sun, the woods, desert, the snow, a smoky sunrise/set, freedom, a wild animal encounter, exploring places I’ve never been. I hated history terribly in school. History is now a very big part of why I enjoy those adventures. I also take pride in being rugged and independent like those before me.
 
Thanks for that. There are unlimited numbers of adventures once you learn to place less importance on “striking it rich”. The older I get, the more I drop things I used to worry about and find more enjoyment in small things, like the warmth of the sun, the woods, desert, the snow, a smoky sunrise/set, freedom, a wild animal encounter, exploring places I’ve never been. I hated history terribly in school. History is now a very big part of why I enjoy those adventures. I also take pride in being rugged and independent like those before me.
I also enjoy sharing those adventures with my Dad, because we are in the SAME EXACT page as far as that goes. That’s rewarding too. Occasionally we can talk my mom into going, and she also shares that same love of the wild. She has waded rivers and creeks. Walked through blackberry vines and poison oak. Usually the reward is worth the sweaty bloody scratches.
 
Thanks for that. There are unlimited numbers of adventures once you learn to place less importance on “striking it rich”. The older I get, the more I drop things I used to worry about and find more enjoyment in small things, like the warmth of the sun, the woods, desert, the snow, a smoky sunrise/set, freedom, a wild animal encounter, exploring places I’ve never been. I hated history terribly in school. History is now a very big part of why I enjoy those adventures. I also take pride in being rugged and independent like those before me.
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. I like looking back into the past and learning about how the old timers did it, before all the modern conveniences, appliances, tools and engineering advancements. It reminds me of what we are really capable of when it comes down to it, the ruggedness and independence included. Every day I learn a little more. 😄
 
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. I like looking back into the past and learning about how the old timers did it, before all the modern conveniences, appliances, tools and engineering advancements. It reminds me of what we are really capable of when it comes down to it, the ruggedness and independence included. Every day I learn a little more. 😄
You never know, someone might depend on us someday. But I’m actually confident that perseverance can (and probably will) pay off if one spends enough time learning while freely enjoying the time.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom