Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flight to the Uk via Air Canada went rather smoothly and I even noticed an airline stewardess smile once! Jim picked me up at Newark which made it a four type of transportation day.....Halifax to Heathrow by air, Heathrow to Kings Crossing via the "tube," Kings Crossing to Newark via train and then Jim in his van at Newark.
Next few days were a blur of digging debauchery with the weekend spent at the "Coil to the Soil" club rally. Met a lot of very nice bouys a digging as well as observing in first person a horde which contained several large Roman coils and a slew of braided bangles!

Another 200 yards to my left and the AT Pro might have found it. As it was I managed a group of buttons, coins and a Roman fantail brooch (photo later in post). Jim's finds were along the same line. Back at the tent was treated to a real thrill as one of the vendors was making hammered coins.

Had a night at the local pub and let me tell you mister man the Guinness went down oh so sweet after a day of afield. Walked so much that day my legs wore down and I had to bum around youz. Purely medicinal by the way as my knees were totally knackered.
Next day was sort of low key as the weather outside and in my brain was a tad off kilter. Enjoyed watching some Kipper TV and feeding the birds in Jim's back yard. A pure delight watching the aerial displays of incoming feeders.

Back in the fields again the next day. Over whelming amount of area for us to cover as the available permission went further than the eye could see.

On this day, for only the second time in my detecting hobby I was skunked. Ironically both times were in the UK. Jim found a cracker hammie which he straightened up that evening. Dickie Danger with a blow torch in his hand me son!

Next day it was back to the same area with both Jim and I hitting Roman. Had been well schooled by Jim on previous UK trips so nothing was thrown away. Hit a target that I was not sure of and looked to me like a clamp that holds a pipe to the side of the house. Called Jim over and all I got was a "Bloody hell that is a Saxon brooch. Cracker find." Guess it wasn't junk. Shortly thereafter me bouy got a Saxon hair pin which gave him some delight. Gridded off a small portion of the field in the hope of finding more......not to be. Must say the Pro was doing the job only going bonkers on one highly mineralized field.
Hit yet another of the fields the following day on a typical UK day filled with clouds followed by a shower .

Only thing of note for this outing was Jim's Fibula or however that item was spelt. Another evening spent at the local pub sucking up some more medicinal Guinness after Jim had prepared a most outstanding feed of lamb. Of course after the pub it was rugby world cup where Canada got royally raped and mugged similar to what faces the Toronto Maple Leafs every time they step on the ice.
Next day we hooked up with Andy (on the right) hitting a few more fields once the "Lewis and Clark Expedition" figured where in the halibut which field we were on. They didn't ask for this colonials help in reading the map.....I was already lost.

Nice day out but not much in the way of finds.
My last full day in the Uk was a total wash out as the skies were opening up big time. Last day was an early start on my way back to the real world. Thanks Jim for putting up with me for the fortnight mate!
Bits and bobs from the trip.

The goods!

Saxon brooch, Roman fantail brooch with a silver Roman.

Upvote 10

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a great time! Those brooches are a very cool, I hope I'm lucky enough to find one. I think a Roman silver would make the trip! Six months and I'll be over there digging, thanks for getting my heart rate up haha!

M_d_in_guy

Jan 12, 2015
Jasper, Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATGOLD
Garrett pro pointer
Fiskars digger
Primary Interest:
Other
looks to be a great time had by all, a bunch of decent finds too and some kick back pubbin time lol. In the second last pic on the bottom left is a holed copper round, is that part of horse tach, I found the exact same here in Ontario in the Rideau Lakes area this past summer.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That big Saxon fibula is sweet, nice finds!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some killer finds. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skunked - Sounds like you just proved that the UK fields are not all full of Treasure like some think. You explained pretty well how hard to was to find the good areas.
The complete Saxon Brooch is the best find & a great example of the earliest Saxon period. Normally bust up by the plough. All in all you had a great visit & a good haul to take home. Congrats.

PS. I know the 'minter', a great expert, I helped a little in his most recent book (not yet published).

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds from the fields afar! Just the age of the finds over the pond is amazing. I think the Guinness was a great find too! It will make the skies brighter.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad emailed to say:

''Just to confirm that the silver denarius found on Leslie’s UK trip was a DOMITIAN with a counter clockwise legend. I can make out the OMITIANVS bit and think rest is AVG PM or similar''

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Saxon brooch is gorgeous! How did it survived in plowed land? You are a really lucky guy! You had a great trip with great finds! Congrats!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow y'all found quite the cache of goodies!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THIS JUST MAKES ME WANTA DIG .... VERY COOL FINDS .

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some great looking keepers Leslie, even if there was an off day the Saxon Brooch is the trip.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread