What's new

Scallops Formed

FloridaGoldDigger

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2012
Messages
27
Reaction score
32
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Excalibur II, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello,

I"m seeing scallops forming/formed on the wet send....Good size. So, when I went into the surf I felt like it was higher, like I was on a stage.The surf sure did seem loaded with sand.
So here comes my questions....

#1 Does the sand from the formed scallops shift into the surf?
#2 Will the sand then shift from the surf into the ocean so we can get those deeper targets in the surf.
#3 Is this what happens in the winter?

Thanks in advance for all your help....Still learning.???:laughing7:

Daniel
 
Upvote 0
Daniel, I'm having trouble understanding your questions. But suffice it to say, it's about those scallop shape formations, right?

All I can say is, that .... just like any other form of erosion, it will depend on the norms-of-your-particular beach. In other words, while you may hear buzz-words like "cut" and "slope" and "scallop" and "low spots" , etc... , (for places which supposedly give up the goodies), yet, truth-be-told, it depends still: Because ALL beaches have all those factors, to some degree, at all times. So you have to know the "norm" for your particular beaches regular topography, (over an annual type average) to know whether the "scallops" (or whatever) that you're looking at are ABOVE and BEYOND "normal".

Because "scallops" can appear in sterile sand too (if it's not scouring deep enough to reveal goodies beyond *just* the previous week or two, and has merely sculpted sterile sand). Nothing but experience on the regular lay-of-the-land of your beach norms will allow you to determine this.

In my area, I can take one look at any beach, and ...... simply because I've detected these beaches for 30 yrs, can immediately tell if a "cut" or a "scallop" or a "slope" or whatever is beyond normal and customary.

In scallops, when targets are going to be there, my experience is that they're positioned on one side, or the other (depending on the way surf was washing into and out of them). Or in the crux of the very bottom-center.

As to where the "sand goes", I dunno. I don't care. Because ideally, you're not so concerned about where the SAND goes. Your hope is that the sand is pulled off (or pushed on to the high side of the other side, or who cares), leaving the heavier targets in a "riffle board sluice-box" fashion at some predictable zone.
 
Thanks for your response, you explained it well.

I appreciate it!

:thumbsup:
 
Good explanation Tom!!

That will help me and I'm sure others as well along the beach. I must admit though at first I was thinking food.
 
Great post Tom. Thanks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom